Canon Community Canon Community

Frequent Contributor

Re: Connecting my G7X to my Mac via WiFi

The ImageSync process over the internet with the necessary up- and downloading of many  tons of images seems to be a rather far-fetched solution to a banal software compatability problem. Smiley Sad

While Canon does not solve the Mac-compatability problem Canon camera users will have to put up with the old low tech camera-to-computer via USB-cable solution. Smiley Sad

New Contributor

I to would like to say this solution is ridiculous and i can not believe there is no solution to connecting my camera to my mac via wifi. My win 10 pc does no problem, the mac though it just sits there saying connecting. Can you just tell me if it cant because of hardware or if its a software problem that can be fixed soon hopefully.
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Hunter-C, 

So the community may better assist you, would please let us know what OS version is your Mac?  I assure you that we're always looking for solutions when there's a connectivity issue involved and that we're doing everything to ensure your full enjoyment of the camera.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Frequent Contributor

Hello Tim! Why are you, as a Canon product expert, trying in your answer to distract from the simple fact that Canon Wireless CameraWindow is not compatible with the current mac os (Sierra 10.12) as is confirmed by Canon's own compatibility chart? https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/canon-software

New Contributor

Hello my system specs are macbook pro early 2015 on sierra 10.12.3, I use a talktalk router with wpa2 but my camera connects to router fine so i dont see it as a problem. I have a pixama 7550 which works over wifi no problems just the camera. Please could you post a video of canon connecting to the macbook pro with the steps you use to get this to work.
Thankyou.
New Contributor

It unfortuantate that Canon seesm to think offering ImageSync as an alternative is a solution rather than fixing CameraWindow. I think this says something poor about the culture and its relationship with its buyers. 

Frequent Contributor

The Canon CameraWindow DC 8.10.10b updade from today 2/22/17 is STILL NOT COMPATIBLE WITH macOS Sierra 10.12 Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

In the Canon release notes it says: „Wi-Fi connection is not available with 10.11/10.12“   Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Why is Canon ignoring the WiFi compatibility issue with macOS Sierra 10.12?

New Contributor

Hiya I dont think they are ignoring it, it seems to me as if its obsolete hardware thats just not compatible with newer wifi protocols. Don't quote is on it though but lets be honest if software engineers at canon couldn't code a little bit of wifi software by now they are in the wrong job.
Frequent Contributor

Facts on the Canon CameraWindow update history for macOS Sierra 10.12:

1. Canon states in its own release notes for the new (today) CameraWindow DC 8.10.10b update: „Wi-Fi connection is not available with 10.11/10.12“ (quote).

2. Canon own web site list all recent CameraWindow software updates for macOS Sierra 10.12 (versions 8.10.5a/8.10.5b/8.10.7) as incompatible: „Unable to connect with USB and Wi-Fi“ (quote). https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/canon-software

3. Canon CameraWindow release notes do not mention any kind of „obsolete hardware“ in connection with CameraWindow’s macOS Sierra 10.12-incompatability.  

4. macOS Sierra 10.12 does not run on „obsolete hardware“. Older Mac-computers only run on older versions of Mac OS X.

5. Canon Wireless CameraWindow software has been incompatible with macOS Sierra 10.12 since the operating system was released in September 2016.

From these facts I can only conclude that Canon is constantly ignoring the WiFi compatibility issue with macOS Sierra 10.12. To quote contributor PhilipNB: „I think this says something poor about the [company] culture [of Canon] and its relationship with its buyers.“

New Contributor

It's March 3, two months after your post and I still have this same problem. 

G7 x mark ii does not connect to CameraWindow 8. The camera detects the Macs on my wifi network and after I select any one of them it says it is connecting but then shows "connection failed". The Image Capture utility on the Mac does show the G7x while the camera is trying to connect.

The Apple webisite says Mac OS 10.2 Sierra supports this camera. If so, then the problem is on the Canon side. There is no problem connecting to an iPhone or an iPad using the CanonConnect app.

Can someone from Canon support please clarify whether MacOS Sierra is supported or when it will be supported.

Thanks