Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: Connecting my G7X to my Mac via WiFi

Hi Canon - 

The first message in this thread is from ‎06-28-2016 - nearly two years ago.  I just purchased a G7Xii, and after spending an entire day following the instructions on your website / youtube / etc., I finally came across this thread that pretty much says that sending to Mac via WiFi does not work.  Yes, it works for Yosemite and older, but Apple pretty much force-updates people.  This means that almost everyone using a Mac is using High Sierra.

This is a worthwhile feature to work on in the CameraWindow program.  Why?  Because:

1) You say it will work when a person purchases the camera.

2) The assumption is that if something isn't going to work, the problem will be with OLD OS's - not new ones.

3) You do provide the workaround of using a card reader - but many new Macs are going completely wireless.

4) Using a USB wire takes more time, and moreover, everytime you open that little fragile door, you risk breaking it.

For these reasons, I would like to put in just another request that your software developers add in this capability for Mac OSX.

Thanks!

Frequent Contributor

Canon cameras are not able to connect over WiFi to any Mac dektop and laptop computers running on macOS 10.13 High Sierra, 10.12 Sierra and 10.11 El Capitan. i.e. CameraWindow (WirelessCameraService) has not been compatible with macOS since September 2015 for WiFi connections!

New Contributor

Right - I figured that out from this forum.  Unfortunately, when you download their software, they make no mention of it.  Therefore, if you're following instructions, you end up installing all this software, signing up for an account on their website, configuring the camera, etc. - with no knowledge that it isn't going to work.  You keep trying.  At least, a notifcation saying that this software doesn't do anything on a Mac from the last 3 years would be helpful - otherwise, people will keep trying in frustration.  

New Contributor

hi there,

I am struggling to connect my canon G7X Mark II with my Mac via wifi ("no camera was found" error). I downloaded CameraWindow softwer for version 10.13. I am using High Sierra operating system 10.13.3.

I am not sure what my be causing the issue?

Could you please assist? thank you,

Anna

Highlighted
New Contributor

Having the same problem and just finding this thread, I would just like to add that if you don't update your own software so that users can connect to Macs via WiFi, please make sure that a USB cable is included in the camera pack. I now have to go out and buy a USB cable specifically for the purpose of connecting when I shouldn't have to. An additional expense that I was not warned about. I would not have bought your product if I'd known any of this.

I feel deceived and I'm NOT impressed.