cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting my G7X to my Mac via WiFi

LadySeph
Apprentice

Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new to cameras, at least ones that now can do so much more such as connecting via WiFi to other devices.

Thing is, I've been having this issue for the past 2 days, and I've come to notice on this community board that many other people have this similar issue. I've been attempting to connect my Canon Powershot G7X to my 13 inch Macbook Pro (retina) via WiFi to download some pics/footage I took while out of town. However, while my camera has no issue connecting to the WiFi network in my home (via WPS), whatever I do I cannot get the camera to pair up with my Mac. It searches and searches but never picks anything up. I downloaded all the software provided on the Canon website for my specific camera, and the Bluetooth in the laptop is enabled. I also downloaded CameraWindow per the instructions via iTunes, but it seems like that is only for connecting mobile devices, not laptops. 

I'm not sure if there's something else I need to download or enable, or if I'm simply not doing something correctly. 😞 If I can't figure it out, would it be possible to connect the camera via a USB cable (which none was provided in the box) to get it to work that way?

Thanks!

64 REPLIES 64

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi LadySeph,

Thank you for posting,

So we may better assist you, please let us know which version of the Mac operating system you're using.  

Meanwhile, the USB/DC terminal is located under a flap on the right side (as you're holding it to take a photo) of the camera. Your camera accepts a USB to mini-B cable. These cables are normally available from camera and electronics shops, or camera or electronics departments in larger stores.

You may also purchase the Interface Cable IFC-400PCU from Canon or an authorized dealer. For assistance locating a suitable USB cable, please call our Canon Sales and Accessories Department at (800) 652-2666 between 8:00 AM and midnight ET, seven days a week. They will assist you with product information and dealer locations.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have precisely the same issue. Mac OS 10.11.5, Powershot G7X Rev II. Camera connects to home WiFi and uploads to Google Drive and Canon Imige Gateway. Mac has all the software installed but then camera asked to upload to computer is gets stuck at "Search for new device" for 10 minutes and than cannot find the computer.

Seems more people have this issue.

How to transfer files from camera to Mac via WiFi?

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Jonya,

Thank you for Posting.

The current version of the Canon CameraWindow does not support a wireless connection with the Mac El Capitan operating system.  Canon is aware of this issue and is working on a solution for it. Unfortunately, no estimate is available regarding the arrival of a replacement version of the Canon CameraWindow. I regret the difficulty this causes.

You may still transfer images and movies using a USB cable. The The Powershot G7X Mark II accepts a Micro-b to USB cable.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you Richard. Would it work in previous MacOS'es? I understand the intention is to have similar connection over WiFi as I have over USB cable to manage, delete, move files from camera to computer - do I understand it correctly?

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Jonya,

You're welcome!

You may send images to computers that use Mac Mountain Lion, Mavericks or Yosemite.

With wi-fi, you may send images to:

• compatible smartphones, tablets and computers
  • PictBridge compatible printers
  • other PowerShot Wi-Fi compatible cameras

I was wonding if this issue has been fixed yet?  I just bought the powershot g7 x mark II and updated the firmware.  When I try to connect the device via wifi after several minutes it continues to come up with Device not found.

I am running latest verion of OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

Hi Tincup7077,

Thank you for your inquiry.

The Wi-Fi function as not been added to the CameraWindow for Mac El Capitan or Mac Sierra, yet. Unfortunately, no estimate is available for the arrival of the software updates, required to add this capability.

Hi Richard,

Can you please let me know if there's any way of connecting my G7X to my MacBook Pro (either though WiFi, Cable, Blootooth ..anything!) that will allow me to the camera display onto my laptop screen. So that I can see how the shot looks on the big screen?

I really, really hope there is a way!

Thank you so much, I look forward to your answer!

Best Regards,

Mihaela

Hi Rutlap,

Thank you for posting.

You may transfer your images using the ImageSync process. For step-by-step instructions, please click here.

Announcements