cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon sx530 hotshot depth effect help (Please)

Bmitchell409
Apprentice

Hello I am a amature photographer I just got my camera 3 days ago and I'm just trying to learn the camera and I was wanting to know can anyone help me with the depth effect feature because I am having a hard time trying to get used to my camera and i need step by step directions. If anyone can let I would greatly appreciate it....

8 REPLIES 8

ScottyP
Authority

A shallow depth of field is created by using a large aperture (opening) in the lens.  

Set the camera to Av mode using the dial on top.  Then use the master dial to select the lowest f/number you can get the camera to do.  

It also helps to zoom in some rather than shooting zoomed out.

It also helps to have your subject close but the background rather far away.  (Not the subject leaning on a wall or someting.)

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

diverhank
Authority

What depth effect feature are you referring to?

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Bmitchell409
Apprentice
Depth of field

@Bmitchell409wrote:
Depth of field

I don't think the SX530 has any special feature for depth of field besides the Portrait mode. In this mode, the camera will try to set the aperture (Av) to as small a value as possible to blur the background for you.

In general, to control depth of field - the distance of in-focus area in front and behind your subject, you can vary 3 factors:

1. The aperture Av.  Smaller value will give you more blur (less depth of field)

2. The distance between the camera and the subject.  The closer the camera is to the subject, the more blur you will get (less depth of field)

@3. The more zoom (more focal length) you have, the more blur you will get.  This zoom has more pronounced effect than the distance and the aperture so to get more background blur, you should use maximum zoom.  You should try an experiment - Zoom in @ 50X at various Av (aperture) - you will find that your background will be significantly blurred even at f/16.  Zoom in @ 50X and at f/5.6, the blur effect will be pretty awesome, I believe.

In addition to these 3 factors, if you want the background to be more blurred, set the subject farther away from the background so that the background is outside your in-focus distance.

I would suggest that you check out a free online program called DOFSimulator.  It's intuitive and therefore easy to use. You can vary the different factors and see for yourself the depth of field effect.  You might also learn about hyperfocal distance from it.

Bmitchell409
Apprentice
So basically get far away from the person or object like around 50 ft and zoom in and get the f/to it's lowest to get the background to blur better?

@Bmitchell409wrote:
So basically get far away from the person or object like around 50 ft and zoom in and get the f/to it's lowest to get the background to blur better?

Yes if you want to subject to be the same size. But closer is better also for better background blur.

Bmitchell409
Apprentice
Ok I'm try it when I get home.. do you have a sx530?

@Bmitchell409wrote:
Ok I'm try it when I get home.. do you have a sx530?

No I don't.  Long time ago, I used to have a predecessor of it...I can't remember the model anymore.  I did read the manual so that I can help you :).

Announcements