cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon powershot sx60 hs blurd background subject

hellenamazieta
Contributor
I just got my canon sx60 HS. But i have problem, i can't blurd subject backgroun from this camera. Anyone cam tell me how to do it automatically? Thanks
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

hellenamazieta
Contributor
Thank you for reply..
I feel like i took wrong camera for my purpose. I need it for taking make up picture but i still can't get a perfect blurd background.

View solution in original post

Many trials you have to make to analyze how your camera works.

Adjust the exposure value ( light compensation ) to a negative value, change the my color to lighter skin ( func/set-my color- select light skin ). or other colors by trial and errors. The best background is colored black or green cloth , five feet from object focused. Do not use flash in day light.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

ScottyP
Authority

It isn't an automatic thing. You might have some luck using the Portrait setting. It really you must set the shot up as well as the camera. 

Camera setup.  Put it in Av mode. That is aperture priority mode. In Av mode you select how big the opening in the lens is. A big opening puts the foreground and background out of focus, leaving the subject in focus.  Set the lowest number it will let you use. That is the biggest aperture. Probably will be 3.5 to 4.5.  

It also helps to force the camera to focus on the subject if you will pick just the center autofocus point to be active so you can put that point on your subject. 

Scene setup.

1. Zoom in. You get little background blur zoomed out to wide angle. 

2.  Put the subject as close to the camera as reasonably possible. 

3.  Make sure the background is as far behind your subject as possible. If your subject is close to the background it won't be very blurred. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

hellenamazieta
Contributor
Thank you for reply..
I feel like i took wrong camera for my purpose. I need it for taking make up picture but i still can't get a perfect blurd background.

newsense52
Rising Star

Select SCN mode, Func/set to portrait, all others menu in auto mode.

Bring camera closer to  an object about one foot or less to an object ( this is in auto focus - no manual focusing ), the background is about 50 yards or more, the blurred background is depending on the distance from the camera.

hellenamazieta
Contributor
Its like i can get only very blurd background with something very bright colour. But with light colour or for people i couldn't get good blurd background.

Many trials you have to make to analyze how your camera works.

Adjust the exposure value ( light compensation ) to a negative value, change the my color to lighter skin ( func/set-my color- select light skin ). or other colors by trial and errors. The best background is colored black or green cloth , five feet from object focused. Do not use flash in day light.

hellenamazieta
Contributor
Your answer are really helping.
Now i can get the blurd background when the subject is very near.
But when i try to get full body person as my subject i can't get a very blurd background.
I know this camera isn't DSLR, but can i get the same quality blurd with DSLR camera to take full body ? Or should i better change with EOS camera for that purpose?

Yes buy a dslr camera with macro lense to achieve your goal.

Announcements