cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon SX60 HS Focussing Issue

mjschocken
Enthusiast

I have been using the SX60 HS  for birds and other wildlife recently and for the most part am satisfied.  However, I have noticed that there are times that I just can't focus on the subject.  Sometimes I can change the zoom or focus on something else and then come back to the original subject and get it to focus but sometimes I need to turn the camera off and then on again to get the focus.  Of course, with a small bird, by the time I run through this routine, the bird is gone.  I'm wondering if anyone has had the same issue and what you can do about it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for taking the time to provide your last message.  It was helpful.  I do like the 80D and its IQ.  I haven't yet started using BBF probably because I think I'll need to get used to something that's new but it's only a matter of time before I consider it.  I use the Canon Digital Photo Professional for now but purchasing Lightroom is in my plans.  I do generally consider and often adjust contrast, brightness and other tools in DPP including sharpness and, of course, I crop.  However, the images I like the most are the ones I really don't have to do anything but doesn't everybody.  Anyway, thanks for developing this thread.  I found it very helpful and I imagine that others might as well.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

I agree that a DSLR is better than a point and shoot or, in this case, a so-called bridge camera.  I have both.  However, I would rther have the optical zoom out to the equivalent of 1335 mm for a distant bird than my 400 mm even with the 1.4X extender.  For me, doing a 50% crop and then more manipulation in post-processing almost always results in a less-than-quality image, even after sharpening.  For a far-away bird, I would rather have the PowerShot SX60 than my Canon 80D with telephoto lens and extender.  In fact, I called the PowerShot my "kingfisher" expressly because that species is quite skittish and often will not get close enough to get good, sharp images after cropping.  As I also noted, the PowerShot is excellent for travel when one doesn't want to carry a lot of gear.  It admittedly isn't good for BIF or trying to capture fast-moving warblers in a tree, but it is adequate for a lot of situations.

I'm attaching an image of the belted kingfisher captured with my Canon 80D with 100 - 400 mm II lens with a 1.4x extender (effectively, 560 mm).  The bird was about 80 feet away.  Compare the image quality to the PowerShot SX60 at an optical zoom equivalent to 1335 mm that I posted previously.  That bird was about 200 feet away to the best I can remember.   I think the image quality is better with the DSLR but I believe I had no chance to get a good image of the bird at 200 feet away with the DSLR.  The PowerShot was my only chance for the far-away bird.  You may have a better camera like a 7D Mark II or even better which might explain why you can crop more and still maintain good image quality.  But for me, the far-away kingfisher was possible with the PowerShot but not with the 80D, even with the extender.  Thus, the little PowerShot has a role for me.

Admittedly, this discussion is Belted Kingfisher with 80Dpretty far from my original question about focusing but still interesting and probably useful to others. 

I used a 6D to take the shot that I posted.  I was probably at least 50 feet away.  I'm really not sure.  Oh, did I mention that you can calibrate the lens performance to the AF performance of certain DSLR camera bodies, including the full frame 6D?  I also use Adobe Lightroom, which is far superior to any Canon software package I have seen so far.  But, the Canon software is free, and it does a pretty good job.  I know some semi-pros use it.

I also have bought, used, and given away to my sons a 7D Mark II and an 80D.  While the 7D2 may have the more sophisticated AF tracking of moving subjects, the 80D has the better IQ, most especially in low light and higher ISO settings.  I think the 80D can produce images that rival the one that I posted because it has better AF system, starting with 45 AF points versus 11 AF points. 

The more AF points you have, the smaller they become.  The smaller the AF points become, the finer the AF points can resolve focus.  The finer resolution of AF points, leads to the dark side of photography. :).  Seriously, though.  It is the size of the AF points is what separates how well a DSLR focuses from a point and shoot, or a bridge camera.  It is the size of the image sensors in DSLRs that produce the higher contrast and details.

An image sensor is an array of photo cells, that measure light.  Imagine each photo cell as being a little bucket like a giant ice cube tray, with millions of little pockets to hold water.  Instead of rain water, the image sensor collects light that falls on it in the little buckets.  A larger sensor has larger buckets, so you can collect more light, which means increased dynamic range, which translates to more contrast and details.

Also, technique can help, too.  I could not focus on the bird because i could not get an unobstructed view of it, because of branches were in the way.  But, I could get a clear shot at the high contrast branch the bird was sitting on.  I also use back button focusing, which separates the focus function away from the shutter button.  So, that every time I press the shutter, the camera does not try to refocus itself.  I must press another dedicated button to make it focus.  Your 80D can do BBF with no problem.  It is a really great camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for taking the time to provide your last message.  It was helpful.  I do like the 80D and its IQ.  I haven't yet started using BBF probably because I think I'll need to get used to something that's new but it's only a matter of time before I consider it.  I use the Canon Digital Photo Professional for now but purchasing Lightroom is in my plans.  I do generally consider and often adjust contrast, brightness and other tools in DPP including sharpness and, of course, I crop.  However, the images I like the most are the ones I really don't have to do anything but doesn't everybody.  Anyway, thanks for developing this thread.  I found it very helpful and I imagine that others might as well.

John_
Authority

I have the SX50 and I use the focus setting set to Flexizone that allows me to move the focus frame without moving the camera like you are trying to do to find a good area to focus on. It also allows me to resize the focus frame. I've gotten good results using that and on the same uncooperative subjects like yours...birds! lol I also use a lightweight monopod whenever possible or practical which frees up the hands to press buttons

Look on page 82 of your manual for more info on that focus mode

Thanks a lot, John.  I will try what you suggested.  It makes sense.  I see it described in my manual.

NPearsall
Apprentice

I have a similar request for technique suggestions. I have some trouble with autofocus with birds in branches. I know it is because the camera does not know a bird from the branch in front or behid but usually all is good and the sx60 takes remarkable images in favorable conditions.

I have tried the manual focus but using the buttons on the back is a sad experience and not in the least precise or fast. Think binocular focusing for comparison. 

Is there any way to assign the assignable wheel to the manual focus function. That could be way better but I don't see any option for that.

I will try some of the other suggestions I read on this thread for auto focusing.

Generally it is very good at autofocus altough a bit slow when birds are involved.

Thanks

I'm no photography expert, but I have had pretty good success with my SX40 and SX60 when photographing birds that are in bushes or in front of "busy" backgrounds by using Program Mode (P) and Spot Focus so I can quickly zero in on my "target".

Attached is a bird photo I took at a zoo with my Powershot SX60. The bird was about the size of a crow and was inside a wire mesh cage. It took a while to get the SX60 to focus on the bird as it moved around, and not the cage, but after about a dozen tries I was successful. The camera tries to make an "intelligent" guess as to what you are trying to focus on, and often thinks it should focus on the area with the highest contrast. If you keep that in mind, you can sometimes move yourself to the right or left a little to change the relationship of your target bird and the distracting background so you can get the camera to focus where you want it to. Hope this helps a little!

crested_bird_sac_zoo_1024x768.jpg

dbhuff49
Contributor
I too have an SX60 HS and love it! However, like you have had a few times when focus was a problem. And yes, the birds won't wait for us to fix the problem (LOL). I found that switching to manual focus, then back to auto seems to work for me. Good luck finding what's fastest and best for you.

Justme800
Apprentice

I’m wondering if you figured out what the problem is bc I’m having the same issue. No matter the subject or the lighting, sometimes I can’t get it to focus at all. I’ve tried turning it off and back on etc but nothing helps. 

Announcements