cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon SX530 - LCD viewfinder very hard to use on a sunny day

RSlater
Contributor

We bought a new Canon SX530, which, like almost all current point and shoot digital cameras, no longer has an optical viewfinder, just the LCD.  Yesterday was a sunny day and the glare and reflection made made the LCD viewfinder almost impossible to use.

Any ideas or tricks to improve performance?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

John_
Authority

Depending on your angle to the sun you could get a LCD hood that will shade it if turning up the brightness doesnt help. That's another reason I am hooked on articulating and swiviling LCD screens like on my SX50HS.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

newsense52
Rising Star

At menu, select tool tab, select LCD brightness and use arrow right/left to adjust the glare of LCD.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@RSlater wrote:

We bought a new Canon SX530, which, like almost all current point and shoot digital cameras, no longer has an optical viewfinder, just the LCD.  Yesterday was a sunny day and the glare and reflection made made the LCD viewfinder almost impossible to use.

Any ideas or tricks to improve performance?

I am sure that the LCD on a DSLR would be just as difficult to see.  There are no point and shoot cameras in that price range that offer viewfinders, AFAIK.  Not one, made by anyone.  Sometimes I wear a ball/visor cap just  to provide portable shade.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

What was interesting to me was that there were maybe TWO offered with rangefinders out of the dozens of point and shoot cameras.  It seems strange that someone hasn't gotten a fix by now.

I have a viewfinder on mine which a rarely if ever use. I think the cost of making an LCD that would be visible in all intensities of sun at any angle would or might cost as much as the camera. I can't remember where I saw them but I did see some inexpensive hoods that shield just the LCD from bright sunlight.  B&H Photo maybe, they attach with velcro strips.

But your right viewfinders are going "bye-bye" on many point and shoot and bridge cameras.

John_
Authority

Depending on your angle to the sun you could get a LCD hood that will shade it if turning up the brightness doesnt help. That's another reason I am hooked on articulating and swiviling LCD screens like on my SX50HS.

Announcements