cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon SX50HS Scroll Wheel Not working

nadithagt
Contributor

Hi all,

My SX50HS is approx. 3months old, and suddenly the scroll wheel stopped working. All the other functions seems to be working quite well. I went to the support center since the camera is still under warranty, and they said that they have to replace all the other circuitry and the lens setup to repair this, since the camera is sealed. Only LCD will not be replaced.

I am trying to talk with the camera shop to get a replacement due to all these circuitry replacement.

Anyone experienced this before? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

16 REPLIES 16

AlanZ
Apprentice

I just encountered the exact same problem yesterday with my camera!  I was out taking pictures at the park, using my camera in manual mode when the dial just quit on me.   I went to adjust my shutter speed and nothing.   No matter what other mode I set the camera at, the dial won't adjust anything.   Even when I put it in playback mode, before I could scroll thru my pictures just by turning the dial, now it does nothing.   Now the camera is only good for using as an automatic and as an amateur photographer, that just doesn't sit right with me.  I've only had the camera now about 8 months and has worked flawlessly until yesterday.   I'm rather disappointed.

Have you tried a "reset"' through the settings menu ?

Hi Alanz,

Sorry to hear you had same experienced the same with your camera. After trying what john sugessted, its better if you can take the camera to the place where you have bought it. I hope that you still have warranty for the same.

Technicians at the camera shop where I bought my camera, said that it was the first time they saw this kind of a issue in sx50.

Hope everything turns out to be good for you.

Naditha

Yeah, I was able to return my camera back to where I got it from and got a full refund, even though it had been about 8 months since I purchased the camera.   I was disappointed though having to return it.   I really liked the camera and now it has me kind of offset by Canon products.   If the camera had been designed with other features that allow for the failure of one feature and could compensated with another, then maybe I'd had kept the camera.   It appeared that the dial was necessary in order to operate the shutter speed and aperture while in Manual mode, there are no other buttons to press that would allow me to change those settings, only the dial.   Like I said in my previous post, for me, that rendered the camera only useful as an automatic camera and that's not what I bought this camera for.    It was only 8 months old right out of the box.   I'd expect some kind of malfunction like this maybe after 2 years, but not this soon.   It's left a sour taste in my mouth.    Really disappointed.

Kabbaz
Apprentice

I have this camera for approx. 14 months and have never had any trouble. But yesterday I encountered the same issues.
Unfortunately, my 1-year warranty timed out...
I'm really sad, because I don't know what to do.
I contacted my salesman and two authorized technical centers by e-mail and I'm waiting for answers...

Unfortunately there is not much you can do other than have it repaired or sell it "as is" on an auction site. If Canon recognizies this as a chronic problem based on a design flaw they might help you out. Have you contacted Canon by phone they are pretty helpful?

Things break, even the most expensive top of the line products break. I always pruchase an extended warranty for that reason...it's always a gamble but that's what insurance is all about.

I wish you the best outcome with this...call Canon directly.

abee
Apprentice

I am having the same problem. It just started suddenly. All other functionalities are ok so far. Since its out of warranty now, there are only two options - live with the problem or get a new one. The cost of repair by canon + the shipping charges is more than the the price of a new camera ! Wish there was a better support system. Seems like canon made it like a use and throw stuff. Disappointed !! If anyone found any better solution, please reply.

Announcements