cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon SX50 HS zooms automatically when turned on

Apprentice

Hi everyone!

I have my Canon Powershot SX50 HS about 4 years now, and recently it started to do something odd: when I turn it on, it automatically zooms in, to the point shown in the picture below:

P_20170416_101144.jpg

It is always to that point. Even if I keep the zoom lever to zoom out, the problem persists. After moving to that point, the camera functions normally, and I can zoom in and out normally.

I never had my camera falling down or smacked. I wonder if dust inside it could cause that, and tried to use the blower on the lever sides, to no avail.

Anyone has an idea of what might it be? Should I take the camera to assistance?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

John_
Authority

I see by your picture your in a Custom shooting mode so maybe you saved that zoom position in that Custom mode. Try turning it to another mode like Auto or Program then see

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

John_
Authority

I see by your picture your in a Custom shooting mode so maybe you saved that zoom position in that Custom mode. Try turning it to another mode like Auto or Program then see

John, thank you! It was exactly that! Somehow this zoom configuration was setted up on the custom mode, and I didn't notice it (and I feel a bit stupid right now, haha).

Your welcome

There's a lot to these cameras and I get tripped up now and then too no need to feel stupid!

newsense52
Rising Star

The worst thing that might happen is that when you  placed it  in the bag and accidentally power on the zoom lens pop out forcibly in a tight space will destroy the motor of the zoom lens. Go to menu-camera tab, auto zoom to off position. Also go to digital zoom to off position. You will zoom it manually and try if will come back to previous mode.

Announcements