cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Powershot SX60 HS video performance in the dark?

gafool
Contributor

When I shoot videos indoors, not too dark really, with 1920x1080 (60p), noises occur everywhere. I tried tuning it into 1920x1080 (30p) but it didnt capture the image as delicate as I wanted. How can I improve its performance in the dark? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The EOS 700D would be a very nice and capable camera that will outperform the SX60 in low light. Keep in mind that the kit lens that comes with the camera is an F3.5-5.6 18-55mm, and will not perform as well as a lens that is F1.8, F2.0, F2.8. The smaller the F number, the larger the aperture opening, and therefore, the better the low light performance. The downside is that the price goes up significantly with the smaller F number. I would get the lens with the lowest F number that you can afford. The kit lens will still be better than the lens on the SX60, but of course you won't have the same zoom range. There are some EOS 700D kits that have two lenses as part of the package, with an 18-55 and 50-250 lenses for example, but again, they are usually about F3.5 or so at best. The EOS 650D is the older model Canon, but still available, and some actually feel it's a better deal. Either way, low light performance will be vastly better than the small sensor cameras.

Steve M.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Thanks Steve.

vgajnky
Contributor

Hi, im sure its too late for this but I just bought this camera (used of course with no manual) and had the same issue. I stumbled across a setting while in video mode. it had the video camera symbol beside it but there was a little "c" next to the video mode icon.

When I chose it, i had the ability to change the aperture and iso. I played around a little bit and was able to lower some of the video noise.

Again,  know its too late but maybe this will help someone else. On a side note I keep my S120 handy as a companion if I know I will be in low light situatioins that might require video :-)!

Hi vgaijnky

This is definetely too lateCat LOL I have already given the SX60 to someone and have bought a 70D for video shooting two years ago. I suggest you do the same. Invest more in your lens.

Justin

Announcements