Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: Canon Powershot SX530 HS

Steve, just wanted to say thanks AGAIN SIR! for explaining what all the little letter abreviations mean on my Canon Sx530Hs. I keep this invaluable printout in my camera bag and reer to it often. You took the time to help me and I just wanna say thank you Sir. God in Heaven Bless you Sir. Thanks
Sincerely, Angelo M. Rookie photographer.
Valued Contributor

You're very welcome! Glad it helps you!!

May you be Blessed as well!

Steve M.

Respected Contributor

In order to understand what is going on in your camera you need to understand the central idea of exposure. All other learning and advancement is based on this basic concept. Luckily it is pretty easy to take in. Just google for a couple short free video tutorials on the "exposure triangle" and it sinks in pretty quickly. 

You want a proper exposure meaning not too much or too little light on the sensor. There are 3 variables you (or the camera) can manipulate to control the amount of light hitting the sensor:  time (shutter speed), opening size in the lens (aperture aka f/stop) and sensor sensitivity (ISO).  Three things interacting like this just begs for someone to come up with an explanation involving a triangle, and that's all the exposure triangle is.  Watch a couple of 2 to 5 minute tutorials and you'll be glad you did. All those settings on the dial will make sense (Tv, Av, Manual).

Scott

Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?