cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon PowerShot SX700 - video no longer works

kardiokel
Apprentice

I thought I posted this on 8/28 but I don't see it anywhere?  Trying again....

I'm new here so hopefully this thread is in the right place.We bought this PowerShot camera in Dec 2014 and by late May, the video no longer worked.  If you put it on the video setting, it takes a picture instead. 

Has anyone else had this problem?  I was very surprised, considering it was less than 6 months old.  I'm not sure who to talk to about warranty and getting it fixed.  Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kelly

5 REPLIES 5

smack53
Mentor

Hi kardiokel,

You originally posted this in the PowerShot section of the forum. I'll repeat my suggestion from that post.

When you are using the video setting, are you actually going through the menus to the video mode, or are you using the movie button on the top of the camera? Which ever method you are using, try the other to see if that helps. Also try a camera reset in the tools menu of the camera. There are several reasons that a camera won't take a video, one being the memory card is too full, and another is a bad connection with the movie button. Hopefully it just needs a reset.

As far as servicing, when you bought the camera, there should have been a card that listed the service centers for Canon camera repairs. The Canon web site for repairs is http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/standard_display/support_pro/pro_service-locations. They list phone numbers for locations in the USA.

Steve M.

Thanks so much for the suggestions.

We've only used the "turnable" dial that has a bunch of options, but I've only used "Auto" and the little movie camera.  

I'll definitely try your suggestions when I get home.  And look for that Service Center card, if necessary. 

Thanks!

Kelly

kardiokel
Apprentice

Just an FYI - I've received emails regarding this thread (saying it had replies) but even though the email appears to contain links to view this, non of them are actually "clickable".  Not sure if that's a board issue or my email (which is yahoo). 

On a better note, my camera is now ok.  I took it to a local camera store and they showed me that I was doing it wrong {insert red-faced smiley here).

Thanks for your help,

Kel   🙂

canonsnaps
Apprentice

After one day my new G7X Mark II stopped taking video.  If I turn the top dial to the video image (between SCN and C) and try to take a video, the camera just goes "click" and only  takes a still image. I had no problem taking video during the first day after I bought it.  Is there anything I could have changed in the MENU settings that could cause this? Anyone with similar problems? (and maybe a solution)  I have a Sandisk 64GB Extreme Plus inserted but have the same problem if I insert  a Sandisk 4GB Extreme III

Hi there!

To record a video, you will need to press the red "Record" button, not the shutter button (which will take a photo). It's here:

G7XIIRecButton.png

Announcements