cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon PowerShot SX500 IS - How to get time stamp when recording video

vadentech
Apprentice

I have the SX500 IS. I want to be able to have the date and time of the video stamped into all the videos taken with my camera. Currently all the photos are setup to do this but im unable to figure out how to get the videos to do the same. Ideally what i woud like is for the camera to stamp the time and date into all my videos so that when I transfer them to my computer I can see the stamped in time/date during playback. Also I want to send some of these videos to others and have then see the exact same time/date stamp that I see. Any help accomplishing this goal would be greatly appreciated. 

3 REPLIES 3

Mykolas
Authority

Hi vadentech!

Thank you for posting.

The PowerShot SX500 IS and other PowerShot models were designed primarily to be used as still cameras.  The Date/Time Stamp feature is only available in certain still shooting modes.  A Date/Time Stamp cannot be added to video being recorded by the camera. 

If I understand what you are trying to do correctly, you are trying to have what is known as time code displayed with the video during playback.  If shooting video and having the time code available is something that is very important to you, you may consider one of our camcorder models instead.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for the reply. I was also wondering though if there might be any video editing software on the market that might be able to extract the date and time from the video file information perhaps and then via that software burn it in to the video? Just curious

Hi Vadentech,

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with any software available for this purpose.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements