cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon PowerShot Elph 115... how to increase 4GB file size limit?

andy9
Apprentice

I want to record longer videos on my camera. I know that the FAT file system only allows for 4GB, less than 30 minutes on HD. So I reformatted the card (San Disk 80 MB/s - 16GB SDHC) to NFTS but the camera did not take it. I reformatted to exFAT and while the camera accepted it, I could not record a video bigger than 4GB. Is this a hard limit??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I don't know that there is an explanation. There has been some speculation that it has to do with the fact that camcorders are treated differently htan still cameras for import reasons.

The best way to find out is read the manual. For example, for my T6S EOS DSLR:

Untitled.jpg

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

yup.

Is there an explanation for this? I read that exFAT goes well beyond the 4GB file size limit. So I don't get how the camera takes an exFAT formatted card but still keeps that 4GB FAT32 limit.

Also, how could I tell with other cameras that they go beyond this limit?

I don't know that there is an explanation. There has been some speculation that it has to do with the fact that camcorders are treated differently htan still cameras for import reasons.

The best way to find out is read the manual. For example, for my T6S EOS DSLR:

Untitled.jpg

Thanks, I'll be sure to find a camera that can keep recording. The Elph 115 just shuts down after it reaches the 4GB limit.

Announcements