cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon G3X Questions

gener
Apprentice

I'm getting ready to order a GX3, EVF, LH-DC100 Hood and FA-DC67B Filter Adapter, plus spare batteries and memory cards. I've done considerable research across the web about the purchase but have a few questions.

1). I understand that the included lens cap will no longer install if the LH-DC100 lens hood and filter adapter are installed. I'm assuming the lens hood bayonets in reverse for storage like my Canon EOS lenses. Does Canon offer an alternate lens cap that does install or are third-party caps available. Can anyone recommend an alternate cap?

2). Some Sandisk UHS-II SDXC cards have write speeds 2-3 times faster than their UHS-I counterparts. Does the Digic 6 processor in the G3X fully support those faster cards or does it enforce UHS-I compatibility? I'm basically trying to discover if the faster cards allow the G3X to write to the memory buffer faster allowing faster RAW recording speed. If not, it might not make sense to buy the faster cards. 

3). I'm looking for a glass screen protector for for the 3.2" LCD. The Canon 5D Mark IV has a 3.2" touch screen and their are numerous glass protectors available. Does the G3X LCD have the same dimensions as 5D Mark IV LCS. Anyone know?

2 REPLIES 2

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Gener,

Thanks for posting.

1. When using the optional Filter Adapter FA-DC67B, you'll be able to use a 67mm filter. While we recommend against stacking filters, you may be able to use a 67mm lens cap on the filter.
  2. Since UHS-II memory cards should be backward compatible with UHS-I cards, which are supported by your camera, the camera should be able to use them without difficulty. There is likely to be little, if any speed increase over speeds provided with UHS-I cards.
  3. While Canon does not offer a display protector, we do recommend against the use of one that requires an adhesive.
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

cogent
Contributor

The G3x lens hood is one thing that simply is hard to work.  It is NOT easy to take it off and on.  The hood came with my camera, but I understand they don't even include it in later shipments.  My advice is DO NOT spend the extra high amount of money Canon charges for this badly engineered lens hood.  If you need a hood for lens flare, I suggest spending  $1.69 on this black plastic and cut out your own lens hood:  [link removed per forum guidelines]

Announcements