cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Upside-down G7 Invert Video?

SoCalDude
Apprentice

I'm considering the G7 X Mark II and wanted to know if I mount the camera upside-down (suction cup from automobile glass sunroof), is there a setting to have the captured video flipped (inverted) when saved?

I'm not referring to the visual on the tilt-able (articulating) display/monitor screen, but rather on the resulting saved video file.

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Not in any Canon I have seen. You can download the manual and check.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@SoCalDude wrote:

I'm considering the G7 X Mark II and wanted to know if I mount the camera upside-down (suction cup from automobile glass sunroof), is there a setting to have the captured video flipped (inverted) when saved?

I'm not referring to the visual on the tilt-able (articulating) display/monitor screen, but rather on the resulting saved video file.

If the camera cannot do it, and I don't see why it wouldn't, then a post processing package may do it.  I have a dashcam that is always able to fip the video right-side up. 

There are a few online vendors who have experts available to answer your questions.  B&H Photo Video has experts that can give you a definitive answer to your quesiton. 

I would suggest seeing if a store in your area has a model on display, but the display is more likely to be busted than functional in most big box stores.

Most suction cups are not very good.  Your camera is likely to fall when there is a significant temperature difference between inside and outside of your vehicle 

The problem most suction mounts seems to stem from the fact that the rubber sheet suction base on most of them doesn't have a large enough diameter, relative to the diameter of the base of the camera mouint.  In other words, there isn't enough room for the base to be even the slightest amount off-center on the rubber suction base.  Being off-center creates an air leak, which causs the suction to eventually fail. 

I have found GREAT success using Zetronix dashcams.  The suction cups bases on their zDrive models have 1/8" of rubber sticking out all around the base.  My suction cup stays stuck to the window year round, and the only time that it becomes loose is duing very hot or cold spells of weather.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks, @Waddizzle.

I already have a dashcam, but I wanted to do some vlog'ing in my car and I currently use GoPros and their extensive array of mounts and accessories. I want to mount the G7X MII on one of my GoPro suction cups, which—by the way—is very strong and stable. It will hang upside-down and not for long periods of time, like my dashcam.

My current video post-processing software allows me to flip the video, but was just curious if this camera could do it at capture time (saving me an extra step for each clip).

Announcements