cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A4000 Lens Error

evacienciala
Apprentice

This is my 3rd A4000 Powershot and the third time I have gotten a lens error.  That means when I turn it on, the lens does not come out and therefore I cannot take pictures.  The first 2 times this happened I returned it to the retailer where I bought it and they replaced it (it was within 30 days of purchase).  Now I've had it for about a year and 5 months and it worked fine until the other day.  We took some pictures and then a while later wanted to take some more.  It hasn't worked since.

3 REPLIES 3

smack53
Mentor

Could be several things going on here:

1. Is the battery fully charged? Technically, the battery is about two years old, so it may not have enough ampacity left to work the lens. Could be at the end of the battery life. Do you have another to try and see if that works?
  2. Has the camera been used in a dusty environment lately? There could be small bits of dirt on the lens barrel causing enough friction to keep the lens from opening. Try using compressed air for electronics or an index card around the lens barrel to see if you can dislodge any dirt or dust.
  3. Has the camera been dropped at all? Even a soft landing with the lens extended can misalign the lens and keep it from opening. May require service from a camera shop.
  4. Does the camera have a lot of use on it? Could be a worn or broken gear/motor issue which would require servicing.

Tim
Authority

Hello evacienciala,

With regards to this error, and the issues you are experiencing, we would suggest sending the camera in for service at this time.  You would be able to request service through our web site, and set up a repair. 

Visit the Service and Support section of Canon USA here.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

marshafaith606d
Apprentice
CHEAPER TO BUY A NEW CANON... THAN TO REPAIR
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements