cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot A95 Won't Turn On

fireman_sam
Apprentice

So i recently bought Canon Powershot A95, though i've just realised that i dont have an CF card reader yet. I've ordered one and it's coming. Ive put the batteries in and it's still not turning on. Im wondering, do i need a CF card reader in to get the camera on? could someone with a Canon Powershot A95 please try it out and let me know because the return policy expires soon. #camera #digitalcamera

7 REPLIES 7

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The camera should power on even if it doesn't contain a card.  If there is no CF card, it should display a "No memory card" message on the LCD display (see page 124 of the User Manual).

Strongly recommend returning the camera for a refund.

I'm assuming you purchased this camera used since Canon no longer supports it?  Where did you purchase from? There are so many vendors out there that would not be reputable.

Would you consider a newer point-and-shoot camera instead? If so, what is your budget? At any rate, do seek out authorized Canon resellers or reputable used camera vendors going forward.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hey! thank you for the help, the camera ended up turning on after taking the batteries in and out a few dozen times. I bought it second hand off of ebay so returning would be an option, i talked to the seller and she was quite helpful too. 

Battery terminals can develop an invisible film that keeps contact from being made. I learned this some years ago with a flash that one day wouldn't turn on. Sent it to a repair service. They returned it, working after cleaning the terminals for free, and told me that my Duracell batteries are prone to doing this.  They advised to use Energizers, which I have stuck with ever since.

Sounds like you "wiped" the terminals clean by reinserting the batteries a lot of times. You can also stick a pencil eraser down in there and rotate it to clean. Do the same on the battery door terminals.

normadel
Authority
Authority

This is a twenty-year-old camera model.  Who did you buy it from? Is there any kind of warranty? Is it returnable?

A memory card has nothing to do with it turning on or not. If you know the batteries are fresh, and the battery contacts on the battery door and down inside the battery compartment are clean, it is a dud. Hope it didn't cost more than a couple of bucks.

I've already answered the topic.  There's no need for the snark.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Snark? What are you talking about?

Hi, normadel and Ricky!  To keep things on-topic, we recommend continuing your conversation via private messages.  Thanks! 

Announcements