cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a manual setting on my SX40HS that would allow me to control the volume on a video? t

aaaluther
Apprentice

I feel like there is a limiter on the camera---I shot a fireworks display, and there were no loud reports from the fireworks

shells. I have a Sony Walkman and it has no problem picking up these sounds. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks-----I always disturbed by the huge displays on TV -I have a home theater, and a movie that has a fireworks

display in it usually sounds great, but the displays like Macys and the Washington monument do not. I think someone

could make a few bucks putting out a DVD of fireworks that looked and sounded like the real thing, with no sound track

included. I am a musician, but when I go to a fireworks display, I don't care for the addition of music.  I think I will rig up

a system and use my Sony pro walkman for the sound-----'

Thanks for the reply, and I figured it must be a limiter involved in the camera---

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

tnicoson
Enthusiast

Playback volume can be set per Pages 44 and 45 of the manual, but record volume appears to be fixed.  It does not surprise me that the SX40 microphones do not pick up fireworks sounds as well as the Walkman.  The Walkman's mics would be wideband high gain units, while the cameras mics are most likely optimized for human voices at close range while minimizing backround noise (which would include pyrotechnics bursts).

Thanks-----I always disturbed by the huge displays on TV -I have a home theater, and a movie that has a fireworks

display in it usually sounds great, but the displays like Macys and the Washington monument do not. I think someone

could make a few bucks putting out a DVD of fireworks that looked and sounded like the real thing, with no sound track

included. I am a musician, but when I go to a fireworks display, I don't care for the addition of music.  I think I will rig up

a system and use my Sony pro walkman for the sound-----'

Thanks for the reply, and I figured it must be a limiter involved in the camera---

Announcements