cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which printer profile/paper combo should I be using?

brassman
Enthusiast

With my Pixma ip8720 and Canon Premium Matte paper 56lb, which printer profile should I be using to get neutral black and white prints with no color cast of green or magenta?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

B&W can be tough. Are you trying to print a color image in B&W or is it already converted?

Are you sure the printer can use the Premium Matte paper?  The specs don't list it. It might be too heavy. Does the printer have a minimize head abrasion option in the driver?  If so you could select that option and use the Matte paper profile. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I am intending to print 8.5x11 from hundreds of scanned B&W negatives. I've been making tests from a few different papers using different printer profiles already installed in the printer (PIXMA ip8720). With Red River Premium Matte 50lb paper I'm getting slight greenish casts in the mid-tones even though that paper's printer profile is installed. I really want to use 2-sided matte paper from Office Depot because of the cost but I am getting color casts there as well.  The Canon Premium Matte 56lb one-sided goes through the printer OK with no jams or abrasions but there is a slight magenta cast in the mid tones. Of course I realize that dependng on the viewing light source, different coor casts are apparent and I'm trying to get neutral B&W tones under "daylight" conditions.  But ..... I got excellant neutral B&W prints using the above Red River paper on an Epson Workforce 30 printer a couple years ago under all light sources.  

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I'm not sure about your printer specifically but some have a fine tuning feature in the driver where maybe you could counteract the color cast.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks but I don't see anything like that for my printer when printing in grayscale mode.

Announcements