cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selphy CP900 Displaying Question Mark Error When Inserting Memory Card

AUDIOMIND
Apprentice

Using a Canon Selphy CP900 and there appears to be a defect that if you edit the images in Photoshop, the Selphy doesn't recognize the images and refuses to display them on the screen or print them. Just a question mark is displayed. It does this to some images, but not all so I'm thinking it has something to do with the Exif data, but unsure.

There is something on the Canon Support page regarding this error, but no real solution to it.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/selphy_compact_photo_series/se...

Please advise.

36 REPLIES 36

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello AUDIOMIND.

This issue may be related to the images on the card.  The images may not be in JPEG format or there may be issues with the EXIF data for those particular pictures. 

Unfortunately, we would have to advise that you print these particular images from a computer.  I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

To print from a computer would be a potential solution. However, I have a WIndows 8 computer and since there is no driver for the Selphy CP900 for Windows 8, and since it will not recognize images created on my computer, I cannot print at all!

When will the Windows 8 driver be available? I saw this question posted before. The answer was to call customer support. I called customer cuspport and they said to watch the forums. Hmm...

Please let us know IF a driver is even being worked on, or else I will have to return this printer.  

This is very disappointing.

Hi tnorris,

Canon Inc has decided that SELPHY CP series printers will not support Windows 8 (32/64bit).

Because of the development specification required by Microsoft, the CP driver could not support Windows 8.  As a result of hardware limitations, WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Labs) approval conditions determined by Microsoft could not be met, so we were not able to obtain the Microsoft logo certification.  As a driver without logo certification does not have a digital signature, it could not support Windows 8 which requires a digital signature when installing the driver.

So we may be able to determien what's causing the pictures to not show up when you put the memory card in, I'd like you to try copying the pictures over to the computer, formatting the memory card with your camera, then take a few new pictures and see if they can be read.  If so, the previous pictures may have corrupted EXF information, but if the new pictures do show up, formatting the card may have cleared up the corruption and future pictures should be able to be read. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

It's too bad that Canon has decided not to support the only OS you can buy on a new Windows PC. That is a HUGE limitation, and I'm sure it will spell the death of the nice little CP900 printer.

Regarding printing from the computer. I am able to print digital camera photos just fine becuase they contain EXIF information. I need to be able to print images that were created on the computer which do not have and never will have EXIF information. Normally one could do this by printing via USB cable, but not anyone with a recent computer running Windows 8.

So I am doubly out of luck. Since the printer is perfectly useless to me, and there is no hope of it being made useful, I would like a refund. How do I go about getting a refund?

Thank you.

Error: Selphy CP800 Question Mark.
Solution: menu, printer setup: info Display = Off.

That worked for me!

I would like to get my money back too.  What a waste and dissapointment. 

i found out what is the problem when you save an image and only a ? mark shows in a square!!!! when you save the photo in photoshop, you save in jpeg... you must save as BASELINE NOT PROGRESSIVE.   This will solve that problem .. i spent a week on trying to figure this probelm out..... 

Sailgal
Apprentice

I have this same problem of the printer displaying the ? for half my photos when printing with a flash drive.  I've also tried using different flash drives. They are not editted or cropped photos, all JPEGs and from the same camera.  It seems quite random as to which ones are able to print and which are not.  

drpaul
Apprentice

Hello, I had the same problem and now i figured it out. A 3 step procedure:

1. In Canon Selphy printer menu - printer setup - info display - off

2. In photoshop - Save for web -> in the metadata box pick all and then save. Choose the SD card as destination.

3. Put the card in the printer and enjoy the print. 

Hope that helps! 

Announcements