cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scanning problem. Receive error message: cannot write file. Code 10,242,7. Please help

rmlopaka
Apprentice

I just purchased and installed a Canon MX 922 multi-function printer. I'm having a problem with the scanner in that the output after scanning cannot be displayed and is accompanied with an error message : Cannot write file. Code 10,242,7. This occurs when scanning documents and images. My operating system Windows XP (32).  Can anyone please help me solve this problem? Thank you.  

18 REPLIES 18

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

Please try the following adjustment to see if we can resolve this issue:

1.  Open the IJ Scan Utility from your Desktop or the Canon Utilities listing of the Start Menu.

2.  Click Settings.

3.  On the left, choose the Auto Scan tab.

4.  Click the Defaults button on the lower right.

5.  Continue this process with each tab on the left.

6.  Click OK at the bottom of the Settings menu.

Once this has been done, try scanning from the IJ Scan Utility to test the unit.

If these troubleshooting steps do not work, feel free to call us at 1-800-OKCANON.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello,

I had the same problem with a new MG3520, trying to scan over network to WinXP (SP2 and SP3).  I think the problem is that it tries to save to,

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp

but "Local Setttings" is either hidden or doesn't exist.

This is how I got it to work for me: In the Canon IJ Scan Utility, click Settings, then the little screwdriver/pliers tab, and under "Folder to Save Temporary Files", browse to a folder that actually exists. I created "c:\tmp" and use that, and scanning now works.

Thank you for your suggestions. I applied your fix but still received the same error message. I suspect there was a communication problem with the IJ Scan Utility and Windows XP SP3. I finally got my scanner to work by first opening my default PDF program Nitro Pro7 and then scanning from there. Everything worked flawlessly so I'm a happy camper! Thanks again for your help.

Rmlopaka

The solution is very simple. You only have to install .net 3.5 and works perfectly. Greetings!

Spent an hour with Canon support this morning for this same error issue 10,252,7. Nothing would work. XP SP3. C:\temp wasn't on C drive so we created one and set destination to it. Did get one image in JPEG but PDF file is empty and is not recognized by Adobe reader.
Was told to update net 3.5 which I did to SP 2 to no effect. Is something else blocking? Everything else functions on printer, MX 470. I was able to get image through Scanners Utility in XP but I have to convert with PDF writer.

That was error 10,242,7. Sorry

Sorry, that was 10,242,7 cannot write file.

i have try your step but still got the same problem.

I need assistance to resolve the problem in scanning with Canon E400 printer.

I receive error message  'Can't write code 10 242 7'

Can any one suggest how to resolve

Thanks

Anupam Sarkar

Goa, India

Announcements