cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scanning on a Pixma MX922

timevans7057540
Apprentice

I have a Pixma MX922 and I am trying to scan to a USB drive. When I plug the USB flash drive into the printer, the printer says "USB drive detected".  So I set up the Scan to USB flash drive function.  But when I scan I receive an error message "Cannot detect a USB flash drive". Doesn't matter if I scan from the feeder or the screen.  

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have a SanDisk 64GB from several years ago.  It appears to correspond most closely to this one on SanDisk's web site:

https://www.sandisk.com/home/usb-flash/cruzer-glide

I also have a MicroCenter 128GB that you can find here:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/486104/128GB_SuperSpeed_USB_30_Flash_Drive

Good luck.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

BillS
Mentor

Hi timevans7057540,

I'm afraid the port on the front of the MX922 is not a USB port, but is meant for printing from PictBridge enabled cameras.  A USB drive will fit, but will not be recognized as a destination.  I regret any inconvenience.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Well, perhaps BillS is not the product expert he thought he was.  (Sorry, Bill, but try not to be afraid about the machine.)  The port on the front is a USB port and will accept scans.  That said, the printer is **bleep** particular about USB drives; it will not recognize many of them, but it does recognize some.  I've been scanning to USBs on my 922 for some years now.

Thanks for the reply.  Any advice on which type of USB drives to use?

I have a SanDisk 64GB from several years ago.  It appears to correspond most closely to this one on SanDisk's web site:

https://www.sandisk.com/home/usb-flash/cruzer-glide

I also have a MicroCenter 128GB that you can find here:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/486104/128GB_SuperSpeed_USB_30_Flash_Drive

Good luck.

I bought the MicroCenter USB and it works like a charm in the front USB port. Now I can scan easily. Thank you so much!!!

To WTig3ner: Seeing your encouraging post, I went through eight USB drives and the printer would scan to none of them (even after saying "a USB drive is connected")! Last resort: tried a USB card reader -- same shape as a thumb drive, but with side slots for SDXC and MicroSD cards. Plugged in a Kingston 16G MicroSD card, and it worked perfectly. It was so much easier to use the document feeder on the 922 than page-at-a-time scans with my flatbed scanner. Thanks for correcting the erroneous info from BillS -- after his entry, I almost clicked away without reading any further!

All,

I too was having this issue. I plugged several different types of USB drives in and got the same results of "you've got a drive inserted, but you don't have a drive inserted."

First time I tried, i plugged the USB drive in, then started the scanning process, selected the USB storage option and then when I got the error, I inserted many different drives, all saying what you've all seen.

Here's where it gets a little wierd: In frustration, I decided to follow the typical "power off and retry" option. So I pulled the USB out, then powered down the printer. Here's the steps that follow what I did:

1. Turn the printer on
  2. Put the documents in the Auto Document Feeder
  3. Select the Scan function
  4. Select USB drive
  5. You should get a screen saying "No USB flash drive. Please set." with a color picture of where to insert the drive
  6. Insert your USB drive. It should say "A USB flash drive is connected."
  7. Press OK once the screen changes to the "USB or Trash can" picture
  8. Select the option you wish for your scan (JPG, PDF, etc) and press OK
  9. Press the B/W or Color button to start scanning
  10. Select Y to the "lack of Preview when using the ADF" alert and press the OK button.
  11. It should scan and save the files to the USB stick

So what worked for me in USB drives?

• A Micro SD to USB thumb drive that cost me a whopping $1 and allows you to insert any micro SD card into it. The micro SD card being used was a Sandisk 8gb card. Worked fine.
  • Next I tried the "nameless" 16GB thumb drive that came with my Lulzbot 3D printer. Worked fine.
  • Then I used another "nameless" 2GB thumb drive that my work had passed out with some company documents on it. Worked fine.

Perhaps this isn't an an issue with compatibility as more an issue of following steps in a certain order. I'd be curious if anyone can replicate this as I've described.

Michael

RidleyNY
Apprentice

I have a Pixma MX922 and use the Canon IJ Scan Utility for scanning to my Mac. I don't have problems scanning the first document.  After I choose 'Exit' to save the scan and want to scan another document, the app becomes unresponsive.  I have to quit out of it and then re-open to scan the next document.  I've tried to download recent & recommended drivers but it hasn't helped.  Anyone else had this issue and find a solution?  Thanks.

Hi RidleyNY.

That problem sounds like an issue that occurred for some users when OS 10.15 first launched.  Try the following:

1. Open Finder and navigate to Applications >> Canon Utilities.

2. Drag the IJ Scan Utility folder to the trash.

3. Navigate to Mac HD >> Library >> Image Capture >> TWAIN Data Sources.

4. Drag the MX920 series entry to the trash.

5. Download and reinstall the MX920 seriers Scanner Driver from the MX922 Drivers & Downloads page.  The Scanner Driver installation comes with the updated version of the IJ Scan Utility.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Announcements