cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SELPHY CP900 + Windows 8 support

darktiger
Apprentice

Windows 8 has been out for a few months now.  The Selphy CP900 just came out after Win8.  How come there is no Win8 driver support for Selphy CP900 yet?  Is there an estimated date this will be available?

27 REPLIES 27

Well, that's disturbing. Will there be a new Selphy that will work with Windows 8? Will Canon replace the CP900 with the new printer for those who have chosen to use Microsoft's latest operating system? I'm asking for a number of our site visitors who have asked this question.

Barry Gerber

Editorial Director, Bestofmedia USA

bgerber@bestofmedia.com

9696 Culver Blvd. #104

Culver City CA 90232

Tom's IT Pro, Tom's HardwareTom's Guide

"Will Canon replace the CP900 with the new printer for those who have chosen to use Microsoft's latest operating system?"

It's not really my choice to use Windows 8, but it comes with the new laptop I bought together with the printer. Unbelieveable that it cannot be used together.

I've been searching a lot on this topic and found a comment at dpreview.com that states how to get the CP900 working in Windows 8. I haven't tried it yet but will as soon as I get home tonight. For those interested, here's the link (scroll down to the comments):

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/07/10/Canon-Selphy-CP900

The dpreview.com fix worked for me. Thanks. I wonder what the hardware incompatibilities with Windows 8 might be? We'll see if anything pops up, but right now the printer is working perfectly with a variety of images and image programs.

Would not have bought this printer if I knew it was not Google Cloud Print enabled and did not support windows 8. Linux support seems flacky as well. Sure hope Saturn will take it back and offer an non-cannon alternative.

I found this, thanks to the one who did it.

here is a way to get this to work with Windows 8.

First, disable driver signing enforcement:
- From the Charms bar, select Settings then Change PC Settings.
- Select General and scroll down to Advanced Startup and click restart now.
- From the menu, select troubleshooting then Advanced Options then windows startup options.
- Restart again and select number 7 Disable driver signature enforcement.
- Your PC will boot up as normal.
- Now Right Click the driver file and select troubleshoot compatibility.
- Go through the procedure and tell it that the driver worked in Windows 7

It should then install and work, there may be an error but it still works. Once you reboot again the driver enforcement is reverted but the printer still works.

Reviewed by a "working user" http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/07/10/Canon-Selphy-CP900

"That being said, you can still use the printer standalone by plugging in a flash drive or memory card into the printer and using the operation panel to print out what you need to print out."

I'm sorry to say, but this response is not what I expect from a company like Canon. I'm very disappointed. I bought this printer for use on location to produce quick results in a professional manner. For this purpose mobile connection between my laptop and the printer is realy a requirement. Playing with changing memory cards in the field is far from professional.

I will return the printer to the store today. Delivering this printer without support for Windows 8 makes it rather useless for me, and probably a lot of others out there.

Really,, really a BAD BAD decision Canon!

I'm sorry to say, but this answer from Canon really makes me furious. Canon doesn't seem to take its customers seriously.

Canon quote: "That being said, you can still use the printer standalone by plugging in a flash drive or memory card into the printer and using the operation panel to print out what you need to print out."

If I'm happy with switching memory cards I wouldn't need a printer with a wireless interface, would I?

I can't understand that Canon really thinks it is acceptable to put a product like this in the market without Windows 8 support. When I returned the printer to the store for this reason the shopowner was really surprised. He didn't believe me at first but had to come to the same conclusion after reading this post.

Bottom line: if this is really the way Canon wants to go, my next professional camera won't be a Canon.  

Well this will be the last Cannon product which I buy.

Went to Best Buy for Christmas present for wife and bought this printer and camera and laptop with Windows 8.

I asked for the simplest camera printer combo for my wife to use, and they sold me this one.

What a waste of my hard earned money.

Nikon or Fuji from now on.

And the worst part is that it seems they really don't give a **bleep**. 

Announcements