Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Printing Double - Signs of A Heat Damaged Print Head

I am posting this so others can recognise the signs of a heat damaged print head on a Canon ip7250. This is caused by prolonged printing when there is no ink. If the pigment black head is damaged it will show double printing in a bow shaped pattern. The problem is not improved by head cleaning. The only solution is to buy a new printer or replace the head*.

Nozzle check example of heat damaged head:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aj7p541314zjqp7/Canon%20Print%20Head%20Damage001.jpg?dl=0

Notice the bow shape is greatest in the middle where the head gets the hottest.

This is not to be confused with another kind of double printing caused by a dirty calibration strip. With a dirty calibration strip all the colours will print double parallel lines with no "bow" shape.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Printer-Multifunction-Support/I-had-a-paper-jam-on-my-MX432-and-s...

Kind regards

Chris

*Beware of some very cheap print heads from China sold on e bay for the Canon ip7250, QY6-0082). They are sold as original Canon "NEW" but are actually taken from used printers and are cleaned and repackaged to look like new. I recently bought two of these and had to return them as they didn't work.   

New Contributor

Re: Printing Double - Signs of A Heat Damaged Print Head

Thank you for this info. Only wish I had found it earlier as I purchased one of those cheap ebay heads.

When it didn't work Igot a new MX475 printer as less than £50 and recommended by Which.

I wanted to mend the old one but what a crazy world where you can buy a complete new printer for about the same as a new print head.

Thanks again,

Geoff.

New Contributor

Thank you, Chris

I have two printers (an MG5560 and a MX926) and you have just saved me from paying out $30 each for the repair shop to look at them.

I'll start saving for a new printer.

In the meantime, I find that if I change the text of the document to dark blue, it doesn't use the damaged black head and the printing is perfect.

Thanks again.

Judith

Occasional Contributor

I am glad I was able to help. Yes if you change the text colour to dark blue or grey the printer will use the colour nozzles and you will get a clearer printout. As Geoff says, its sad that its more cost effective to buy a new printer rather than just replace the head. 

Kind regards

Chris