cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MX870 error message: UO43 ink not recognized

cmgeorgia
Apprentice

I have a pixma mx870 all-in-one printer.  I just replaced my ink cartridges using new genuine canon ink cartridges.  I am receiving an lcd error message: UO43 ink cartridge could not be recognized.  I tried unplugging the printer for 10 minutes.  Any suggestions?

13 REPLIES 13

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello cmgeorgia.

We would like some additional information to try and resolve the error.    Please document which ink tank is mentioned in the error as unrecognized.

Next, please open the cover and wait for the tanks to stop at the center.   Once there, document the exact label of each ink tank from left to right.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I am experiencing the same problem.  I took out the empty color cartridges because I only use it on black and threw them away.  I have put one of the large black cartridges 220 in the large space.  All I get is the error message UO43 and the alarm goes off   "Cartridge not recognized"  Very frustrating  HELP I HAVE NO PRINTER.  Thank you.

Hi fayjohnson,

Unfortunately the pritner will not work in this manner.  Since the printer is considered a color printer and not a monochrome printer, it must have the color and black ink both.  If the printer detects that a color is in place of a black or vice versa it will give this error until you put in the appropriate ink tank.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

THE BLACK IS IN THE CORRECT SLOT.  iT IS JUST THAT THE COLOR TANKS ARE NO LONGER PRESENT.  aRE YOU SAYING THAT THERE HAVE TO BE COLOR TANKS IN THERE FOR THE BLACK TO WORK?  whAT A WASTE OF MONEY,

Hi fayjohnson,

Yes, the printer requires that all ink tanks be installed in their correct slots in order for the printer to work, even if some of the ink tanks are low or out of ink.  

Does this mean that the printer as a whole does not work without ink cartridges installed? - meaning the scanner will not work either? I have a MP630, getting the same error message with no ink cartridges installed - is there a way to override this error message and use the scanner?

best

Mhan

@Ramona wrote:

Hi fayjohnson,

Yes, the printer requires that all ink tanks be installed in their correct slots in order for the printer to work, even if some of the ink tanks are low or out of ink.  

I have same problem on MX892, inserted refilled cartridges
( small black on left and yellow on far right) red light comes on when installed,close cover and get not recognized message. Open cover and those two lights are off?? Brought back to Cosco, told them,they reset them,tried again at home...still NG????

Hi jcastron,

Sometimes during the ink refill process, the original ink tanks can be damaged and not function properly once reinstalled in the printer. In these instances, there is not a way that we can force the printer to recognize the ink tanks; they will need to be replaced.  Replacing the ink tanks with new Canon genuine ink tanks should resolve the issue you are experiencing. 

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

matchalax
Apprentice

Hi. My Printer Model No. (MP628) is also facing same issue but I didn't put any printer cartridge inside printer. Might I know need to put printer catridge in according to power on the printer?

Announcements