cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print onto a CD using a Canon iP7220 and My Image Garden

BernardHerrman
Contributor

I’m trying to print a design directly onto a CD, using a Canon iP7220, with My Image Garden 3.2.0, on an Mac, OS X El Capitan.

When trying to create a CD label design, the following occurs.

I open My Image Garden. I see the Guide Menu, and click on the Disk Label icon.

I select Simple 1, and select the 4.7" 120mm disc paper size, and click OK. The blank disc template appears, and I click Add Image.

I double-click the image I want to use, and a thumbnail of the image appears to the upper left of the blank disc.

I double-click on the thumbnail, and the image completely covers the blank disc template; there are no options for editing or altering the image.

The only option is Print. If I click Print, only options for printing on paper come up; printing on CD is not an option. 

What am I doing wrong?

19 REPLIES 19

Hi Dr_H,

If you are having difficulty printing CD/DVDs in My Image Garden, another program, Easy-PhotoPrint, is included that can perform the same function.

1. Open Easy-PhotoPrint.
  2. Select "Disc Label/Case Cover."
  3. Select the layout and image.
  4. Edit as necessary.
  5. Print.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

@BillS wrote:

Hi Dr_H,

>If you are having difficulty printing CD/DVDs in My Image Garden, another program, Easy-PhotoPrint, is included that >can perform the same function.

1. Open Easy-PhotoPrint.
  2. Select "Disc Label/Case Cover."
  3. Select the layout and image.
  4. Edit as necessary.
  5. Print.

>This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for >further assistance.

>

>Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as >well.

Where do I find "Easy-PhotoPrint"?  It didn't install with the Canon printer software, and I'm not finding it on the CD.

I have "AudioLabel" -- this is teh software I'd really like to use, since it's optimized for printing disk labels.

It let's me design the label teh way I want, but I still have the same printer issues.

OK, I'm making progress, I think...

It turns out that the version of "My Image Garden" I had was version 1.1.5.  WTF??  Why would Canon bundle 6-year old software with a new printer?  The driver seems up to date.

Anyway I downloaded and installed version 3.6.1, which seems to be the latest available from the Canon website.

NOW I have the "New Art", and "Set Design and Paper" windows -- what a difference 6 year makes, eh?

So, now I'm able to get as far as Step 7 in your list.  I Start a new label, I add an image to the thumbnail bar,

--- and then I'm stuck.  The image is there; I can select it, but when I try to drag it to the disk label, nothing happens; the label remains blank.

... What now?

------------------

A couple of other things I'm noticing about this software:

* The "Instructions" selection under "Help" in teh menu bar goes nowhere and does nothing.

* Why is there no "Save" or "Save as" selection on the File menue???

There isn't any obvious way to SAVE a disk label once it's been created. 

PLEASE tell me that the label doesn't have to be recreated from scratch every time I want to print it . . .

So... does direct disk printing just NOT work on this printer?  Is it a false claim?

Or did I get a lemon?

If I can't print a disk by the end of this week, the printer is going back to Amazon, and i'm trying another brand.

there are Epsons that supposedly print disks.

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Dr_H

If you continue to have difficulties, troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issue. Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

@Michael wrote:

Dr_H

If you continue to have difficulties, troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issue. Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

<sigh> I've initiated two "contact us" contacts already, and yet to get a useful response.  I gotten three robo-acknowledgements that I've asked for help, and one email allegedly from tech support asking if they could be of "any further assistance".  Since they've yet to be of any assistance at all, I answered "Yes", but have not yet received a reply.

These requests, BTW, were issued 5 and 7 days ago.

Is three the magic number?  If I do to "contact us" a third time, and fill in all the blanks and describe my problem yet again, is someone really going to provide a meaningful responst THIS time?

@Michael wrote:

Dr_H

OK, I solved the problem.

The software and drivers on the CD bundled with my printer were vintage 2012, although the printer was made in 2018.

Funny that no one thought to ask what version of the software was being used, when I wasn't seeing any of the menues people were refering me to.  Why my printer came with 6-year old software is anybody's guess.

I downloaded updated versions of all the software from Canon, and lo and behold, suddenly everything works.

It's a slow, noisy printer, but it does make outstanding labels on direct-print disks.

Thanks for giving it the college try.

I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. I was eventually able to print on a CD, by using the response to my initial inquiry, screwing around a lot with it, and disregarding one of the instructions to wait for a prompt. (You pointed out one of the same issues that I had, waiting for a prompt that doesn't appear.) Printing on a CD with this printer is always a frustrating process for me; I have to relearn the process every time I do it. My personal advice would be to return the printer.

@BernardHerrman wrote:

I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. I was eventually able to print on a CD, by using the response to my initial inquiry, screwing around a lot with it, and disregarding one of the instructions to wait for a prompt. (You pointed out one of the same issues that I had, waiting for a prompt that doesn't appear.) Printing on a CD with this printer is always a frustrating process for me; I have to relearn the process every time I do it. My personal advice would be to return the printer.

Thanks -- that may be the best advice I've gotten so far.

>@Patrick http://Canon.us/ContactLI

>Please open My Image Garden and follow these steps:

>

>1. Click on New Art at the bottom and then Disk Label.

OK, after a lot of random poking around in the folder list on the left,

I was finally able to get the "New Art" icon to come up when I selected

"Desktop".

I open "My Art", and I select "Disk Label"...

>2. In the Design List, let's try "Simple 2".

... but I don't get this "Design LIst" window.

What I do get is a window that says:  "Select Theme and Main People".

In that window, I have three choices:  "Standard", "Family", "Anniversary"

None of them offer a blank disk background, which is what I need.

>

>3. At the bottom of this pop up window, next to Paper Size, please select Standard disc 4.7" 120mm.

I see that selection in the "Theme" window now; it is the only available selection, and is pre-selected.

>4. Click OK.

At this point I really can't go on, because none of teh three available themes let me put my prepared art on the label.

How do I get to the "Design List"???

--

Dr H

Announcements