cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preparing a Pixma iP8720 for moving

khorton15
Apprentice

We're packing and all our stuff will be in a moving truck, going all the way across the USA in November.  The official info I found says to leave the print cartridges in place, but to ensure that the printer is kept upright during the move.  I've watched enough movers to know that there is zero chance the printer will make it all the way without the box being put in various random orientations.

So, given that the printer will likely end up in the wrong orientation, I'm wondering if it might be best to remove the printer cartridges and discard them, and then buy new ones after arriving at the new house.  I'd appreciate comments from anyone who knows the technical ins and outs of these printers.

Thanks,

Kevin

4 REPLIES 4

khorton15
Apprentice

Well, after doing more research, it looks like shipping the printer without cartridges installed is probably a bad idea too.  That would expose the ink in the print head to the air, and it would likely dry out and clog the print head.  Now I'm wondering about printing a bunch of pages to consume all ink in every print cartridge, and then leaving the empty print cartridges in the printer for the move.

Comments?

Kevin

Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

The main reason the printer is to be kept upright is to ensure that excess ink in the waste absorption pads does not leak into other parts of the printer.  As for the ink tanks themselves, please keep the tanks in the printer.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I well understood why it was important to keep the printer upright, but I've moved enough times to know that it doesn't matter how you mark the box.  The movers will put the box in whatever orientation best uses the space on the truck, with no regard to the markings on the box.  I've had movers remove boxes from the truck and place them in the house upside down, despite clear markings on the box of which side should be up.

In any case, the move was completed over a month ago, and the printer arrived in good working shape.  I rolled the dice and removed the cartridges, placing each in a zip-lock plastic bag.  The print head did not get clogged, nor was any ink spilled.

Note: I had tried calling Canon Support before the move, but the tech who answered was completely unable to offer any useful advice.  She was more interested in trying to convince me that this printer model had not been sold in the US, and that I would never be able to find print cartridges for it after arriving.  But, the local Staples carries the exact same printer cartridges as I was using in Canada, so this was a false alarm.

Announcements