cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma iP4000 drivers and Win 10

Caravelle
Apprentice

I am about to (reluctantly) invest in a new Win 10 PC for photo processing work because my much-loved old Sony Vaio machine is dying.  I have checked and my CanoScan 9000 scanner (which has never given me any trouble) has Win 10 drivers available, but not my Pixma iP4000 printer.

The driver download page suggests that the printer may work with the available Win 8 drivers, can anyone confirm that it will in fact work or not, please ?  Or of it works in a restricted way, what no longer works and is that likely to be vital ?   

Of course another problem is that my favourite photo-processing software, which I know intimately so can adjust things without even thinking about how I'm doing it, does not work on Win 10 either, and the newer version which I have tried on a Win 10 laptop has changed so much and added so many extra and to me totally unwanted and useless features while seemingly removing the ones I used most that I just can't use it.  The editing screen has shrunk and the file picker won't go beyond the current machine - ie no networks or workgroups appear.  Unbelievable !

Many thanks

Caravelle

3 REPLIES 3

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Caravelle,

It is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you, but why is that recommended ?  Is this not a community forum, like other community forums where users can exchange their experiences, and answers and solutions can be shared  ?  Doing so saves  "Technical Support Representatives" from having to answer the same question again and again.  And indeed in other forums I have had  issues sorted out, and have sorted out other people's issues, which the official support failed to resolve.  What you are in effect saying is "don't bother to ask other users what their experiences are" and I think you do your Forum users a disservice by suggesting the answer cannot be found here without even giving anyone else a chance to say something.

When I get an answer, I shall post it here (I shouldn't have to do this job on Canon's behalf).  Frankly I can see no reason why a "Technical Support Reprentative" should have access to any more information than a "Product Expert" about what a product will or will not do and I do not understand why the information is not simply published online as a link on the drivers page for the printer.   Maybe you could take that away as a helpful suggestion to save everyone some time and effort.

Caravelle

This is the answer from Canon Support to the simple question I posed in the second paragraph of my original post:

Thank you for your request and for contacting Canon.
In response to your enquiry concerning the availability of drivers for your Canon PIXMA iP4000 ,we regret to inform you that there are no supported drivers available for this device with your operating system.
You can try to download the Windows 8.1 drivers as they are the closest in similarity to the Windows 10 drivers, however we cannot confirm that they will definitely work.

To explain this lack of availability we would like to provide you with some additional information regarding Canon's policy towards the provision of drivers for new operating systems.

At the time of launch of a new product, Canon generally provides drivers so that the product in question will operate on all existing and known future planned operating systems.

When the launch of a new operating system is announced, Canon reviews the existing product range to see which of these products can be considered for the provision of compatible drivers.

There are many different factors that may influence this decision. These can include (but are not limited to) such factors as the technical compatibility between the new operating system and the Canon product, the cost of driver development, the cost of supporting utility software product updates, the issue of certification of the developed driver by the operating system in question, the expected lifetime of the Canon product and costs associated with quality assurance.

Canon respects the right of its customers to decide to upgrade their operating systems and we attempt to make it clear at the time of purchase which products will function on which operating system.

Furthermore, Canon always advises its customers to check the compatibility of their associated Canon products prior to the upgrade of an operating system. To this purpose, our consumer helpdesk staff are always available to assist customers with such enquiries.

We hope that the information above offers enough explanations with regards to the unavailability of the updated driver that you need.

Once again, thank you for contacting Canon. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact again.

Yours sincerely,

I assume that there is some intelligent life here, and that you all know that the reason new drivers are not produced is simple corporate planned obsolescence.   If the equipment was designed in the first place so that drivers could be easily adapted...   If the drivers were designed in the first place so that they could be easily adapted...   If models were not changed so often for no good reason apart from profit...  This is all deliberate policy, it is not an excuse, it is not forgiveable and Canon should not be churning it out in the fond belief that anyone is going to be satisfied.  We have to suffer because of choices they made.

Note that having not answered my question Support tells me to contact Support: "Canon always advises its customers to check the compatibility of their associated Canon products prior to the upgrade of an operating system. To this purpose, our consumer helpdesk staff are always available to assist customers with such enquiries."  And what will the "consumer helpdesk staff" say ?  We know they will just repeat the mantra which has already been published and which is why I asked for further information:  "You can try to download the Windows 8.1 drivers as they are the closest in similarity to the Windows 10 drivers, however we cannot confirm that they will definitely work".

Why ?  Why can't Canon Services and Support simply test an ip4000 printer with the Win 8 drivers on a Win 10 machine and say precisely what will or won't work ?     You, my dear readers, all know the answer.  Because they want you to buy a new printer even if you don't need it.  They are never going to reveal the true state of affairs.

Good news, everybody.  I have borrowed a Win 10 machine.  The printer prints.  I have not tried out features like the CD tray or colour printing (which I gave up on long ago as uneconomic) but if you want to print a Word document you can.   You do not have to buy a new printer.  The secret they don't want you to know is out.  How much help was Support ?  None.  Marks out of 10, zero.  Just a waste of everyone's time.

Caravelle

Announcements