cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX 892 Won't Turn On

Mortypie
Apprentice

My Pixma MX892, which I would guess is a little over a year old, has suddenly stopped working.  I was able to print just two days ago, but now the unit will not turn on at all.  Yes it is plugged in and yes the cord is connected to the unit.  It simply won't start no matter how many times the power button is pushed or how long it is held down.  Is this a known issue and what might be a way to fix this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi Mortypie, turnem and ticarre:

Please follow these steps to try and resolve the issue:

1.  Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer and from the wall outlet/surge protector and leave them out for at least 10 minutes, then plug it back in.  Sometimes one port on a surge protector will work, while another will not, so we recommend plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

2.  If the printer reset didn't work, please try to plug the printer into another power outlet in a different area of the room, or another room if possible and try to turn the unit on.

3.  If you have another power cord you can use with the printer, please try to use that power cord to see if this will power the unit on.

If the printer still does not turn on after these steps, it will require servicing to resolve the issue.  Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page to obtain your servicing options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

218 REPLIES 218

rfox
Apprentice

Add me to the list of people not buying another Canon printer. My 17 month old printer died in the midst of a 2-page print job. Now it's dead and I'm off to buy 2 new printers - 1 for me and 1 for my son...

nebnetto
Contributor

Day before yesterday, my MX892 would not turn on.  I messed with the power cord and got it to light up - 

Unfortunately it was with a B200 error.  What is a B200 error you ask?  Well I called Canon support to find out . . .  what a disappointment.

Support had me go through all the stuff I already had - then gave me the good news:  send it in for service (cost unknown), or get a whooping discount from Canon on a new printer.

Needless to say, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Well I guess it's shame on me.  This is the third Canon printer I am having problems with (and the last).  Every encounter with Canon has lead to my spending more money, and more money, and more money, do you see a pattern here?

Now I have read all the posts, and have seen a Canon rep interject every now and then  (basically all with the same message "get off the board and contact Customer Support - so they can 'sell' you another printer".

I look at all the Canon products I have purchased over the past few years, and wonder 'why'?

This is a slippery slope, Canon. 

You may save the cost of replacing and obviously flawed product, but the hidden loses are much higher.

Hey, I'm retired and have nothing but time to tell everyone I run into about my "unpleasant" experiences with Canon.

Do the math.

Or, maybe this is part of the business plan - to lose X percentage of clients per year as an acceptable cost.

Well people, losing our individual petty business may not hurt, but collectively maybe we can have an impact.

Vote with your feet.

"Amen" , so well said
In fact, I am going on Amazon right now to "voice my opinion" 
I know my review will be seen/read

mhjj
Apprentice

For those of you who have purchased ink that you can no longer use because of the defect of this printer, you can recoup some of your money by selling the packaged ink on Ebay.

Oahu_baby
Apprentice

My PIXMA 892 stopped working mid print job too. Tried all the suggestions on this thread of moving to a different outlet, etc. Printer was only 15 months old. Loved the printer while it was working, but 15 months lifespan is not long enough for something that was used only once or twice a month. I am going to Costco this afternoon to buy an HP printer instead.

aswedanceaway
Apprentice

I was just printing on my MX 892 & like the rest of you, it shut off mid print.  Such a shame that there has not been any good news to come from this.  I'm a stay at home Navy wife & mom & a new printer (or even paying for repairs on this one) is DEFINITELY not in the budget.  I really would have expected a longer life from this printer.

I am pleased to see so many of you with this Canon printing problem are moving on (to other printer companies).

Every time I look at that big black paperweight on my printer rack, I shake my head and wonder why.  I have

another dead Canon printer sitting on my printer rack downstairs.

For every one of us who takes the time to make a post here, there are HUNDREDS of people with the same problem

who just threw up their hands and bought another printer  (some of them are even Canon printers).  I know, because

this is my third Canon with basically the same issue.  I have now learned my lesson . . .  NO MORE CANON PRODUCTS!

I hope maybe collectively we can have an impact on Canon's customer relations.

It won't do me much good (my minds made up) but it could help other users in the future.

Canon, you know the statistics. What you see here is only the tip of the iceberg.

Remember the Titanic.

antbedy
Apprentice

Add another dead printer to the list. I guess I was one of the lucky ones because I purchased ours in August 2012 so had 25 months with it rather than the 17-18 months most people are reporting. There is obviously a problem with this model. After reading what the solutions offered by tech support are, I am tempted to trash it. However, I will contact them anyway because I'm hoping that if enough of us do, they will step up to the plate and do something to compensate all of us (other than offer a "discount" on a new model).

That is what I had thought.   However . . .

What Customer Service did for me was to give me a few quick distracting things to try (which of course did not work)

and then came in with the punch line - sell me another printer!

Save yourself some heartache, skip dealing with Canon and buy another printer - FROM A DIFFERENT MANUFACTURER!

I hate being so negative about this, but you can see from all the people who posted comments here, none of them

received any satisfaction from Canon.  Not a one.

I hope you can get some piece of mind knowing that you are not the only one to get cheated out of good money.

There are many, many more.  Most of whom never visit this site.

Good luck.  I hope you find a solution to your problem.

Cirrius
Apprentice

And another one bites the dust. right at 18 months of use.

Announcements