cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG 5500 SERIES- ERROR CODE 1660- SOLUTION HERE

jtaytruesupport
Apprentice

I DECIDED TO POST THE SOLUTION TO ERROR CODE 1660:

AFTER DAYS of inability to bypass error code 1660 (and I searched the entire cyber world to no avail) - "INK TANK IS NOT RECOGNIZED", I FINALLY discovered the solution, to this abyss of a problem, which does not require purchasing tons of new ink cartridges (which doesn't work-but pays Canon), which does not require a technician to come to your home/printer (for cost). which allows you the ability to return your printer to it's original reliable-printing, normal functioning device for which you originally purchased it for.

TITLE: the notorious ERROR CODE 1660 with Canon printers- TOTAL CONSUMER FRUSTRATION- SOLUTION HERE

THIS SOLUTION WILL DESERVEDLY RELIEVE ALL YOUR ANGST, ANGUISH, AND DISGUST WITH LACK LUSTER SUPPORT OF PRINTERS AND THEIR MYSTERIOUS ERROR CODES THAT COST US CONSUMERS UNTHINKABLE UNEXPECTED DOLLARS SIMPLY TRYING TO RESTORE OUR NORMAL DAILY LIFE OF PRINTING AND COPYING DOCUMENTS IN OUR HOME AND/OR SMALL OFFICE:
I have an MG 5520, yet this solution is effective on all INK TANK NOT RECOGNIZED ERROR CODES MESSAGES
Here are the steps for those thoroughly frustrated with the printer ERROR CODE black hole for Canon MG Series
Step 3: Go to https://youtu.be/Nb2g5-4uCu8 which shows you how to safely remove the printer head and the ink tank cartridge in two swift steps. (You need NO tools, not be a techie or a computer guru to perform this elementary task. You simply need patience and a gentle touch)
Step 4: Fast Forward the video time to: 01:29 to see Canon 5500 series
Step 5: After removing Printer head, use BD Alcohol swab square (or similar piece of old flat fabric cloth with dab of alcohol on it); VERY Gently swab and clean all sides of head being careful not to leave cloth particles or tears on the strips of magnetic tape (YOU CAN NOT PLACE THIS HEAD IN WATER OR A CLEANING SOLUTION WITHOUT DAMAGING IT COMPLETELY)
STEP 6: Use BD swabs to gently wipe and clean inside tank and back of tank where prongs are for the head.
STEP 7: Allow printer head to air dry outside of printer. (ALLOW minimum 10 minutes for all air drying to occur for cleaning of ink tank and printer head)
STEP 8: RETURN BACK TO your youtube site: https://youtu.be/Nb2g5-4uCu8 which shows you how to safely replace the printer head and the ink tank cartridge in two swift steps. (You need NO tools, not be a techie or a computer guru to perform this elementary task. You simply need patience and a gentle touch)
STEP 8: UNPLUG the printer, wait 5 minutes. Then replug printer and POWER ON (Error Code goes away)

IF YOU WISH TO HARD RESET YOUR CANON PRINTER
(which 99% of the time, removes all error codes-
(except for me when I hard reset the Canon MG 5520), which is why the STEPS above is the alternative and the absolution solution to this INFAMOUS and NOTORIOUSLY COSTLY ERROR CODE)
STEP 1(only): Go to https://youtu.be/aedPja3XL_I
(how to reset Canon Printer Error)
Follow the steps exactly and your printer will be reset to manufacturer settings which allows your computer to reinstall a new driver to restart your printer.

MAY YOUR LIFE BE RETURNED TO NORMAL WITH THIS ASSISTANCE.

my email is: [Mod Note: Removed personal information per forum guidelines].   BE WELL

4 REPLIES 4

duffyboysmom
Apprentice

The video is gone from YouTube - and they removed  your  email address as weel. I'm at the end of my rope. I've cleaned the  pins - the contact  - not sure how to remove the printer head to clean that but something has to fix this Support Code 1660 on this MG71200! Your help is appreciated.

Funster
Apprentice

The 1660 error code on my MG5420 was caused by a bent pin under the large PGBK cartridge.  It was not making contact with one of the pads on the cartridge.  If any of you has this problem, remove the cartridge and inspect the contact pads.  The pads should have a tiny indentation where the contact pin hits the pad.  The pins are VERY fragile and not well seated.  I was able to reposition the errant pin with a small screwdriver push.

Funster

Funster
Apprentice

The solution posted by Jason is probably incorrect and his activity probably cured a contact problem as I noted in my last (and first) post to this site.

Funster

sisutmi
Apprentice

Here's somtehing that worked for me when my Cyan cartridge started to give the Error 1660 message after working fine for a long time.

Remove the cartridge. 

Clean the pins in the slot with a q-tip dipped in 70% isopropyl alochol until they gleam. You can look at the pins for a functioning cartridg to compare.

Clean the contact points on the bottom of the cartridge with alcohol. 

Check that the the pins in the slot are all in a line and not bent to one side or other.(see other posts about this) . 

Press very gently on each pin (with tweezers or scissor points) from the front twoards the back of the cartridge slot.

Let everything dry for a few minutes.

Reinstall the cartridge by pressing down towards the back of the top of the cartridge, rather than towards the front.

I hope this works as well for you as it did for me.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements