cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New MX892 Scan to PDF

Philipp2
Apprentice

While researching printers to replace my worn out MX700, I thought that I remembered seeing something about "SCAN TO PDF" ability on the MX892.  So far, I have had to scan to my computer thru Adobe Elements, then "print" to a PDF file.

Is there a more direct way of going to a pdf from the scanner?  -  Great printer, by the way.  Thanks Canon.

8 REPLIES 8

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Philipp2,

PDF scanning can be performed with our MP Navigator EX program or with the operator panel of the printer itself.

The MP Navigator can be accessed from your Desktop, or the Canon Utilities listing of the Start Menu (Windows) or Applications folder (Mac).

I hope this helps.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

HI,

Can a single pdf file be made during the scanning process instead of one for each page?

Thank you,

Michael

Hi mikeyman949,

Yes, you sure can!  Try using the MP Navigator software your PIXMA MX892 came bundled with.  In the program, click 'Scan/Import' in the top-left corner (if you don't see this, click the arrow in the bottom-left corner to expand the window). 

Next, click on 'Photo/Documents Platen,' and then choose the correct 'Document Type' on the left side.  Push 'Scan,' and it will scan your document.  Load in the next page, and hit 'Scan' again.  Once every page is finished, please verify that every document has a checkmark placed underneath it.  Then, click on 'Save as PDF' in the bottom left corner.

On the Save dialog, you can control where the file will be saved to.  Make sure the 'Save as Type' menu is on 'PDF (Multiple Pages).'  Once saved, they will all combine into one file in the save location specified!

Can I use the top loader to scan several pages at one time into a single PDF file to send in an email? 

Hi Robin18,

Yes, you can use the top-loading Auto Document Feeder (ADF) of the printer to scan several pages in and save them as a single PDF file to send in an email.   To do this, place the pages you want to scan in the ADF of the printer, then from within the MP Navigator program, select the SCAN/IMPORT option, then the STACK OF DOCUMENTS (ADF) selection.

On the SCAN/IMPORT window that appears, click the green SCAN button to begin scanning.  When all of the pages have been scanned, be sure to click on the SAVE AS PDF FILE option near the bottom left of the window.  A window will then open giving you the opportunity to name the document you have just scanned and select a save location for the file.   Once you have done this, you can click the SAVE button to save the file. 

To attach the file to your email, open your email program, compose a new email message and then use your email's attach feature to navigate to the save location of the PDF file you created and attach it to your email.

Hope this helps!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for the replies. I was able to use my MX892 to scan multiple pages using the ADF (Automatic Document Feeder).

First as individual pages, then stumbling through the manual, combining pages automatically.

The individual pages (12 total) range from 31 KB to 161 KB, with a total of 1,376 KB

However, when the pages are combined by the printer the size is 7,315 KB.

Why the increase in size by a factor of 5? Any way to combine without the substantial increase in size?

This has happened with two different documents. Thanks for the help.

Hello BimrJim,

The reason for the difference in sizes is the because they are all being combined into a PDF file.  Creation of a PDF file can raise the file size due to the specifics of the file type.  One way to lower this size would be to scan at a lower DPI.  For documents, 75 or 150 should be sufficient.  You could also try disabling some of the options in MP Navigator like Unsharp Mask, Correct slanted documents, and detect orientation to see if these lower the size of the combined documents into a PDF file.

I hope this helps you.

arronlee
Contributor

I have never met with your problem or a similar one when I scan PDF files or process them. Because I am using another PDF SDK. You can google some one whose way of processing is simple and fast to help you with your PDF work. I hope you success. Good luck.

Announcements