cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help installing IP8720 as network printer

buyersremorse
Apprentice

I've exhausted myself searcing the web (tried Canon support, of absolutely no help!) so was hoping someone else has figured out how to connect the Pixma IP8720 as a network printer. It works fine when hard wired (USB) to my Linux and Mac OSX machine but I want to share this printer.

Our configuration is IP8720 USB connected to ASUS RT-N66R wireless router. The router shows the IP8720 as 'enabled' when you look at USB applications. Neither Ubuntu 16.1 or OSX 10.11 can discover the printer via their wireless conections to the router. I've tired to connect using LPR protocal as the Router manual says it supports Linux/OSX with no joy.

My old HP Photo printer was a joy compared to this one, the Canon software seems to be only Windows aware. I was able to connect to priter via router on Win10 and Win7. Does anybody out ther have this printer model shared via a router? 

1 REPLY 1

Ramona
Authority

Hello,

You can install the PIXMA iP8720 wirelessly over your network for use with your Mac by following the steps shown here.  There is also a guide available on the Canon USA website that can assist you with using the printer via Linux; to view the guide, please click here, then download the "IJ Printer Driver Ver. 4.10 for Linux (Operation guide)".  To download the Linux drivers for the printer, you will need to select the plain LINUX option from the Operating System field on the Drivers and Downloads page for the printer here.   Please note that the Linux drivers are provided as-is. 

Hope this helps!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements