cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 - Can't save PDFs from the printer

endorice
Apprentice

I recently purchased a MX922 to replace a Canon MP830.  My primary use is to scan documents and save as PDFs.  Using the 830 was fairly straightforward.

My new MX922 is installed direct to the client workstation via USB.  To scan and save a document to a PDF, I'm using the instructions here: Canon MX922 Manual

After selecting "Local (USB)", then Doc.type=Document, then click the Black Start button, I get: "Processing . . .   Please wait momentarily."  However, the file is never saved to my local PC.

If I launch the IJ Scan Utility, click the PDF/Document option, the document is scanned and saved as PDF without problem.

My question - how do I scan and save as PDFs using the printer itself?  

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Ebony
Rising Star

Hello endorice,

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know which operating system is running on your computer.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for your reply.  I'll post my solution in case someone else runs into this.

I was running Windows 8 on my client machine.  Purchased the MX922, installed software, everything was working correctly.  Somewhere along the line, I started having the problem I posted about.  I realized that I had received the Windows 8.1 upgrade, so I went to the Canon site, downloaded the latest install package (with drivers) and re-installed.  My problem is gone.

I will say that the steps of simply scanning something from the printer to PDF is dismal.  Way too many steps to do something so simple.  And it took about 10 minutes to figure out how to do a duplex scan. But, this is an entirely different issue 🙂

Thanks again for the help.

byteboy
Apprentice

I recently purchased an MX922.  I had and MX870 and effortless scanned ocr'd docments.  When I try to create a document in Acrobat from the scanner.  Acrobat cannot recognize the scanner.   I am on a PC with Win7.   If I scan a document to a pdf using the Canon software, I get only an image that cannot be ocr'd.   Can this be done with this scanner?

Hi byteboy,

You can perform an OCR scan using the IJ Scan Utility program that comes with the PIXMA MX922. 

To perform an OCR scan, please follow these steps:

1.  Open the IJ Scan Utility by clicking on the Start menu, then selecting All Programs, then Canon Utilities, then IJ Scan Utility and then clicking on the IJ Scan Utility program.

2.  Click Settings....  The Settings dialog box appears.

3.  Click Document Scan.

4.  Select Start OCR for Application Settings, then select the application in which you want to display the result.

Note
When My Image Garden is specified, after the image is scanned, the text in the image is extracted and appears in Notepad (included with Windows).

5.  Click OK.  The IJ Scan Utility main screen appears.

6.  Click Document.  Scanning starts.  When scanning is completed, the scanned images are saved according to the settings, and the extracted text appears in the specified application.

Please  note:  Text in the image of the following types of documents may not be detected correctly:

Documents containing text with font size outside the range of 8 points to 40 points (at 300 dpi)
Slanted documents
Documents placed upside down or documents with text in the wrong orientation (rotated characters)
Documents containing special fonts, effects, italics, or hand-written text
Documents with narrow line spacing
Documents with colors in the background of text
Documents containing multiple languages

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements