cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG8120 - Why do I have to insert a color cartridge before I can print black & white

MTBob
Apprentice

Re PIXMA MG8120

The grey cartridge is empty and now I cannot print a document that is simply B&W.  The B&W cartridges are full.

How do I set the printer to print in B&W if either the color or grey cartridges are empty?

1 REPLY 1

Ramona
Authority

Hi MTBob,

When an ink tank is out of ink, the printer will not print from the other ink tanks until the out of ink condition is addressed.  If you do not have a replacement ink tank readily available, you can disable the ink level detection function of the printer so that you can continue to print.  To do this, please press and hold down the STOP/RESET button for at least 7 seconds, then release it.  This procedure will need to be done for each ink tank that is out of ink.  If performed successfully, you will then be able to print.

Once the out of ink tank is replaced with a Canon genuine ink tank, the ink level detection function of the printer will be re-enabled.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements