cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I bought a new printer

brassman
Enthusiast

i bought a new Canon printer. It's the same make and model of the one I already have which isn't working so well. Should I completely uninstall everything connected with my older printer including the drivers or just unplug the old and plug in the new?

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If its USB and its the same exact printer you should be able to just plug it in. If it doesn't work reinstall driver.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Danny

Hi, brassman!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon printer model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, search our knowledge base or contact our US-based technical support team at http://canon.us/SupportCF

Thanks and have a great day!

Hi Danny,

My printer is a PIXMA ip8720. I bought it from B&H in July 2015. Lately I've been getting blue/cyan patches in my B&W prints. They usually occur in dark gray areas like shadows that are not solid black but not in lighter gray areas. Using Canon Pro Premium Matte 101  8.5x11 paper. No banding or streaks . I tried several nozzel cleans and deep cleans to no avail. Then removed the print head and carefully, per instructions, flushed all inks until water ran clear and avoiding getting the copper/gold contacts wet. Took all day. Installed the print head and ink cartridges and ran more nozzel checks with same results on B&W prints. The nozzel check print out showed that the BK band still showed fine white lines running horizontally L to R. The odd thing is that the whole BK band is made up of eight equal distinctive sections if you look closely. I'll post an image of it. I talked with a Canon tech rep a few weeks ago and she said, after I'd described the BK band and not having shown an image of it to her, the problem was not the print head but the printer needed repaired. I figured the repair would cost me $$$ so I've ordered another ip8720 from B&H which is due to be delivered tomorrow. I have posted this exact problem and image upload as I've stated here in this forum before and was urged to call Canon, which I did. 

nozzel check sheet enlarge.jpg  So thanks for your interest but it seems no one has seen this kind of eight sectioned, white lined nozzel result before. And not even sure if this is the cause of my problem.

Russ Marshall

Yeah, I bought a new ip8720 to print neutral b&w prints from b&w negs. Again after trying several combinations to pair up with Canon Premium Matte and 3rd party ink cartridges (4inkjets) IE; sRGB,RGB,grayscale,PSE 15 manage colors,Canon Printer manage colors,relative colormetric,perceptual,absolute,all of the 'media type' choices of paper and fiddling around in the color management box of CMY and STILL not coming up with a 'neutral' b&w print but ALWAYS some color tint of C or M or Green, I finally stumbled on the combo of *Grayscale color/profile space in PSE 15 *PSE manage colors*relative colormetric*Photo printing*plain paper*grayscale printing*high quality. I have to increase contrast +40-50 clicks and saturate blacks and adjust mid-tones and whites but I'm coming up with totally neutral b&w prints viewed under ALL light sources - no hints of the dreaded magenta, cyans or greens. I like these particular prints on the contrasty side (factory shots) so it's working out so far. No thanks to anyone on this forum of 'esteemed contributors' and Canon reps who not once suggested this solution which I still view as an unorthodox "work around".    

Glad you found a solution.

Maybe if you had said you were using third party inks (and mentioned the brand) one of the members might be able to help you.

If you don't profile your ink/paper combination you can't be sure what your output will be.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements