cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Envelope ink. smudging problems

Liriodendron
Apprentice
I printed my wedding invitations on a Canon PIXMA 560, and they are absolutely beautiful. But when I I tried to print the envelopes, there is always a dark smudge of ink on the lower right-hand side of the envelope. I have done maintenance cleaning, but I have not downloaded new drivers. The envelope is a little thicker than the paper but not not by much. Please help
9 REPLIES 9

Karl1
Rising Star

Hi Liriodendron,

So that we may better asist with this issue, please let us know what version of Windows or Macintosh you are using.  Also, please let us know what program you are using to print the envelope and whether the smudge appears on the printed side or the back of the envelope

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Mac 10.7 Lion OSX and I am using the word program that came with the Mac. The ink/smudge appears on the lower right hand side bottom and sometimes the upper left corner where the return address starts

Hello Liriodendron.

Please try the following adjustment to see if we can resolve your issue:

1.  From the print dialog screen, expand the third dropdown menu.  This can be labeled as 'Layout', 'Copies and Pages' or the name of the program you are printing from.

2.  Select 'Quality and Media'.

Once there, change the media type option from Plain Paper to Envelope.  This should allow the unit to compensate for the thickness of the paper before printing.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I chaneged the media quality to envelope.  Have done the maintenance on the printer and I am still getting black smudges???

I am using a MAC Os Sierra. I am using Microsoft Word. My printer is a Canon MX 920.

Thank you,

E

angruhl
Apprentice

I have a Canon MG5320 and have always had the same problem.  The suggestion of changing the media to "envelope" fixed it, but the printing was not as dark.  What fixed it without changing the look of the printing was to turn on "prevent paper abrasion."  I went to the actual printer, and from the Home screen, selected "Setup," then "Device Settings," then "Print Settings."  Hope that helps! 🙂

That worked for me too!  Thank you so much for the post!!

"What fixed it without changing the look of the printing was to turn on "prevent paper abrasion." "

This also worked perfectly for me on a Canon 7520. I never would have known about that Paper Abrasion setting. Many thanks. Can get my invoices out now!

Dec 2017 - This worked very well for me too, in a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit environment with Word in Office 2015. I went to Maintenance, Custom Settings, and ticked the box for "Prevent Paper Abrasion". There's always a little nuisance box that appears each time I print with this setting, but it's worth it, to get cleanly printed envelopes.

The "Prevent Paper Abrasion" setting worked for me as well, on TS9020.

I've always had some problem with smudging on envelopes.

Announcements