cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Could not install the scanner driver" MF227dw

phazex3375
Apprentice

MF227dw has been great for windows 7 as a network printer and scanner. After moving to windows 10 all printer functions work fine but I cannot figure out a way to get my scanner driver installed. Windows won't even recognize a scanner is available for use. Have tried a few things including disabling windows ability to choose a default printer as well as installing and uninstalling the toolbox software several times. Any help would be appreciated

scanner error.png

47 REPLIES 47

Boy, that looked promising, but didn't fix the issue for me.  I have a Win 7 32 bit PC and using the latest driver on their website.  I can't get the scanner to work via USB or network.  The printer portion will install and does work but I need to scan some documents.  Tired of using my phone when I have a scanner.

Here is the error I get.

Canon error.png

Any other ideas?

Duane

Hello Duane,

Before we can further assist you with the error regarding the scanner driver, we're going to need a little more information about your situation.  Are you saying this error occurred while you were in Selective Start Up?  Did you uninstall the previous drivers while in Selective Start Up then download and install the updated drivers from our web site while still in Selective Start Up? 

If you need immediate assistance and you're in the USA, please click http://Canon.us/ContactCF for our US-based support. If you're outside of the US, please click http://Canon.us/4xf7 for support options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi,

I am on a Windows 7, 32 bit PC using selective startup as I have trimmed the TSR's to make my PC run faster. 

selective.png

Are you saying there is a particular TSR that needs to be running in order to complete the install?  I prefer not to run my PC in normal mode as that has all kinds of background processes running that my PC doesn't need.

I have uninstalled the driver via the Add/remove programs applet and then tried to download and reinstall multiple times to no avail.

Please advise,

Duane

Hi duaneolson 

There is not a particular TSR that needs to be running in order to complete the install.  Based on what you describe, it is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I may have finally resolve my issue.  I had the problem everyone on this thread was having, after trying almost everything on my Win10X64 laptop, I tried the following.

1. Moved the unzipped installation package out of the downloads folder.  I moved it to C:\Drivers\Canon

2. Removed the rediculously long folder name that was default from Canon's unzip program

3. Removed fax and xps printers from Windows (not sure if this helped or not)

4. Ran the install and it worked!

Thank you very much for this. I registered just to thank you. Worked well for me.

Also have to disable anti-virus so that the utility can update the firewall, but might not be an issue with other anti-virus providers.

Scan Driver succesfully installed using this work-around:  I've had the same issue as OP with an MF632CDW on an updated Win 10 system.  I'm ashamed to admit how long it took me to fix this issue after trying dozens of approaches (including manual scan driver installation). 

PC6uru's post got me thinking when I happened to already be in Windows Test Mode with Windows Defender real-time and cloud both disabled, although I don't think any of those ultimately mattered.  I'd also already changed the extension to .zip for the downloaded Canon MF632CMFDriverV5401W64usEN.exe driver installer (to MF632CMFDriverV5401W64usEN.zip) so I could unzip just once and not sit through the unzip process repeatedly for each attempt.  This was unzipped to a folder named MF632CMFDriverV5401W64usEN on my desktop. None of that's necessary if you can locate the install folder that the Canon setup initially created.

SOLUTION: The folder has two sub-folders, namely DRIVERS and intdrv.  Several sub-folders down into the DRIVERS folder is a setup.exe program.  Running this from the desktop location gave the same exact error as before.  But when I copied those two subfolders to my hard drive at C:\Temp and ran the same setup program from there, the stubborn scan driver finally installed! 

As PC6uru initially surmised, the issue seems to be an overly long path name in the scanner installer package (only), that can be alleviated by reducing the path length of folder name as much as possible.  Thus, C:\Temp was short enough for me (I had a 15 character username, which may explain why some have this issue and others don't), but if you have a longer username for Windows, you might need even further reduction.  Once installed, I deleted it all from my desktop and emptied my temporary C:\Temp folder.  All's finally working well.  Hope this helps, and Good luck!

@PC6uru

Thank you so much for your post. I have faught with this for several hours after (I assume) Windows updates trashed my scanner drivers. I thought I'd tried everything, but I hadn't tried this. (I didn't have an old enough restore point.) I've  written myself a note and put it in with my installers to point me where to install from if & when this becomes an issue again. 

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

mrubano
Apprentice

WIN KEY+R, type MSCONFIG and OK;
make sure sure you are set to NORMAL STARTUP;
For some reason my PC was set to selective mode;
Fixed issue;

tehal
Apprentice

It is the same problem with my Image class MF 212 w. Could anybody help ?

Sonya1
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello tehal,

Did you try placing your Windows 10 computer in a Selective Start Up to install the drivers for your imageCLASS MF212w?

If you need immediate assistance and you're in the USA, please click http://Canon.us/ContactCF for our US-based support. If you're outside of the US, please click http://Canon.us/4xf7 for support options.

Announcements