cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Could not install the scanner driver" MF227dw

phazex3375
Apprentice

MF227dw has been great for windows 7 as a network printer and scanner. After moving to windows 10 all printer functions work fine but I cannot figure out a way to get my scanner driver installed. Windows won't even recognize a scanner is available for use. Have tried a few things including disabling windows ability to choose a default printer as well as installing and uninstalling the toolbox software several times. Any help would be appreciated

scanner error.png

47 REPLIES 47

We called, and there's still no solution.

Just wanted to add my name to the list as another user that can't get the scanner drivers to install on Windows 10/64 bits. My computer is a Lenovo that was upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 (the software was installed after the upgrade). Interestingly, my previous computer, a Dell, was also upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 64 bits (again, software installed after the upgrade), but had no problems whatsoever with the software installation. 

Hi swechsler,

Based on what you described It is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Note: Please note, Canon's Forum is not intended for immediate help, but a place to allow for the Community to give you assistance and feedback.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Contacting tech support reps doesn't help, in my experience, because

a) they either deny the issue is with the driver installation package provided by Canon, or

b) don't understand what the problem is.

I suggest this issue needs to be escalated to the driver development team.

Spent far too long on what should have been a simple resolution. But here is what fixed it for me.

1. Remove All Canon applications from add and remove programs in control panel.

2. When you get stuck in deleting the drivers via the add/remove you need to follow these exact steps.

2.1. Make sure the printer is installed in Printers and Scanners. Add it back via windows add printer if not.

2.2. Close all applications on computer,

2.3. Go to administrative tools then services. Find "Print Spooler". Right click and hit stop. Keep window open

2.4. Open Run command (windows key+r) type spool and press enter. Go to "printers". Delete all files in there.

2.5. go back to services and start print spool service back up

3. Go back to add/remove programs and it should now fully uninstall.

4. Get newest drivers from site.

5. Let it extract itself but cancel out of the installer once it launches.

6. Find extracted folder and rename it to something shorter

7. Go in manually into that extracted folder and find drivers, then x86 for 32bit windows and 64x for 64bit windows and run the installer. 
8. Installer should now finish and everything should work...

EDIT: Happened again 2022, couldn't get the above to work on Windows 11 no matter what. Reverted back to Windows 10, followed the same steps except after removing items in spool/printer then went to program files/canon/ and ran the uninstaller in there and selected "clean up" after cleanup completed I was able to uninstall the canon application then install fresh and have it work. - 3 years on from this and we are still dealing with this mess. Really unacceptable Canon.

Congrats, it only took 13 steps to figure this out and a highly skilled and experienced tech 2 hours to figure it out (vs the typical 5-10 mins to install a scanner and printer.) 

Good luck all.

These steps worked! I tried some other user's suggestions, to no avail. This one works! FOLLOW THESE STEPS!! 

I registered just so I can tell you all this worked for me. Hopefully, it works for you! Thank you samualiam for the instructions!

Re: "Could not install the scanner driver" MF227dw [ Edited ]

Spent far too long on what should have been a simple resolution. But here is what fixed it for me.

1. Remove All Canon applications from add and remove programs in control panel.

2. When you get stuck in deleting the drivers via the add/remove you need to follow these exact steps.

2.1. Make sure the printer is installed in Printers and Scanners. Add it back via windows add printer if not.

2.3. Go to administrative tools then services. Find "Print Spooler". Right click and hit stop. Keep window open

2.4. Open Run command (windows key+r) type spool and press enter. Go to "printers". Delete all files in there.

7. Go in manually into that extracted folder and find drivers, then x86 for 32bit windows and 64x for 64bit windows and run the installer. 
8. Installer should now finish and everything should work...

Congrats, it only took 13 steps to figure this out and a highly skilled and experienced tech 2 hours to figure it out (vs the typical 5-10 mins to install a scanner and printer.) 

Good luck all.

THIS is the absolute solution for scanner driver installation problem. The main reason for failing was various pre installed other types of canon printers and there were some documents in queue for printing and scanning. When i got rid of all of them, installation was a success.Thank you for sharing the right solution and making it public. Wishing you the best.

"1. Remove All Canon applications from add and remove programs in control panel.

8. Installer should now finish and everything should work..."

samualiam's solution worked for me on 2 of 3 computers.

On the 3rd computer I got a popup saying that the uninstall of the printer (from the "Add or Remove Programs") was hungup on Canon "Generic Plus UFR II V120".  To get rid of it I followed the instructions from here:  https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-3231-zz-DR-enUV/contents/dwu-inst-updt_uninst-uninst.html

It says to:

Display [Devices and Printers] from the [Control Panel] of Windows.
Right-click the icon of the device you are going to remove → select [Remove device].
   If you are using a touch panel, press and hold the icon of the device you want to delete → tap     [Remove device] in the pop-up menu.
In the [Remove device] screen, click [Yes].
Select the icon of any device → click [Print server properties] from the menu.
[NOTE: "Printer Server Properties" is at the top. No right-click to get this "properties" menu.]
guy451_0-1650576711886.png

Display the [Drivers] sheet in the [Print Server Properties] screen.
Click [Change Driver Settings] → select the driver to be removed from [Installed printer drivers] → click [Remove].
Select [Remove driver and driver package] → click [OK].
Confirm the driver in the confirmation screen → click [Yes].
If the [Remove Driver Package] screen is displayed, click [Delete] after verifying the package information → click [OK].
After remove the print driver here, I could then a) uninstall the printer and b) reinstall everything without errors.

Good luck on reaching support via phone. I was kept on hold for more than an hour yesterday. Finally hung up. Tried again today. Held for 20+ minutes, hung up. Next printer will not be a Canon.

PC6uru
Apprentice

I may have finally resolve my issue.  I had the problem everyone on this thread was having, after trying almost everything on my Win10X64 laptop, I tried the following.

1. Moved the unzipped installation package out of the downloads folder.  I moved it to C:\Drivers\Canon

2. Removed the rediculously long folder name that was default from Canon's unzip program

3. Removed fax and xps printers from Windows (not sure if this helped or not)

4. Ran the install and it worked!

Announcements