cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS D420 "OUT OF TONER CHANGE TONER" error on new cartridge

joshpark1
Apprentice

I have an OEM Canon 104 cartridge, just opened, and it's giving me this error.  User manual just says "toner completely out, change cartridge", but I just bought this new for 80 bucks!  anyone have any suggestions?

10 REPLIES 10

Deborah
Enthusiast

Hi joshpark1,

I am sorry to hear about the toner error that is occurring.  If you haven't done so already, please confirm that the sealing has been fully removed and there are no chips or visible damage to the toner cartridge.  The shutter flap should snap back into place when pushed back slightly (hold away from bright light). 

You can also remove and rock the cartridge from side-to-side several times to fully distribute the toner, as well as test doing the same with the previous cartridge (if still available); this can assist in narrowing the cause of the error, determining if you are able to make at least one copy before the low toner message appears with the previous cartridge or if the error is constant.

If the error continues, it can be related to the toner cartridge or your laser printer itself.  Should this be the case, please Contact Us  for further assistance and we'll be glad to help.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

This message drives me crazy. There's still plenty of toner. I went to an online consultant and asked this:

How can I stop my D420 from telling me the toner is low (or gone) when there is still plenty of toner? Can I stop these warnings completely? I can tell when the toner is low enough to affect the print quality.

I received this answer:

There is a chip on the toner cartridge that provides information on page count and from that, the printer determines that the cartridge is empty. There is no way to reset it or fool it or stop the warnings - they are a built-in function of this printer.

Hard to believe that they want to sell cartridges so much that they build in a false, early warning. Eventually it stops printing entirely, demanding a new cartridge.

I replaced the cartridge giving the warning with a new one and printed a few copies. Then I replaced the new cartridge with the old one previously giving the warning. It continued giving an out-of-toner warning, but it also continued printing, showing that the previous warning was premature and false. I speculate that I can actually use up all the toner by moving the used cartridges out and back in this way. Inconvenient, but it works. This inconvenience, however, suggests that I should try a brand other than Canon when I'm ready for a new printer.

johnrobbins
Contributor

i have this same problem...the printer works if a cable is connected directly to a pc

but, if the connected to router and pc connects to wifi network router then the error makes printer location unavailable whether printing effort is, or is not, chrome associated...

Hi johnrobbins.

The imageCLASS D420 is not a network printer.  It does require the unit be connected to a computer via a USB cable.  However, you are also able to connect the printer to C-7600WG Silex Print Server.  The server will allow you to connect your printer and use it over your network.  You can view more information about the server here:

C-7600WG Silex Print Server

If you are experiencing issues with a different machine, please reply back with the exact model number of your printer.  This information will be located on the control panel of the printer.

I hope this information is helpful to you.  Should you need further assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

alright then in re network. however, we beg the question  about the spurious toner cartridge issue...the cartridge is new...why the error message? graphic display notes cartridge as empty, but it prints fine...

Hi johnrobbins.

Thank you for your reply. 

I recommend cleaning the toner sensors.  Please power off the machine and unplug it from the wall.  Next, remove the toner cartridge.  Using a dry, lint-free cloth, wipe off the metal sensors that sit along the side walls.  After reinserting the cartridge, plug the machine back in and power it on.  Verify if you receive the same error.

If the error persists, and you are using a genuine Canon cartridge, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

The cartridge is genuine.

I did as you suggested, but the error message and red flashing light continue...

new cartridge -->no error message, no flashing red light

Hi johnrobbins!

Thanks for posting in the Canon Forum! The Forum is not intended for immediate help, but a place to allow for the Community to give you assistance and feedback. If this is an urgent support need,please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Announcements