cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to wake an MF8380CDW from energy saver mode

alien_technolog
Apprentice

I have a MF8380CDW that won't wake from energy saver mode.  Switching from wireless to USB did not help.  Using Windows 7 Pro.  Is there a way to wake it without cycling the power?

9 REPLIES 9

Patrice
Whiz

Hi alien_technolog.

I understand that the imageCLASS MF8380Cdw is not waking from energy saver mode.  This usually indicates that there has been a drop in the voltage going to the machine, possibly from electrical noise from the outlet or if the machine is plugged into a surge protector. 

If you do have the machine plugged into a surge protector, we recommend plugging it directly into the wall outlet.  Allow the machine to go into energy saver mode and then print again.  If you have the same issue, move the machine to an outlet on an opposite wall and allow it to go into energy saver mode, then print a document.

If this does not resolve the issue, we contacting our technical support group at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666), Monday - Friday, 8AM-8PM EST, for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

warp10too
Apprentice

Hi, I know a solution for the wireless situation . I had the same problem with the printer "locked" into Energy Saver

mode . I didn't discover this but found this answer posted by a lady , if I remember right , and for the life of me I can't

refind that posting to credit her . What she found was that by going into the settings for her MODEM there was a parameter

called "bandwidth" which she set to 20 . I have done this too , my MODEM listed the choices as 20 or 40 or auto . Having set it to 20 ,  I powered the printer off and on ONCE and from then on the Energy Saver state could be cleared by simply pressing the Energy Saver button . I also found that you don't have to clear the mode in order to print something.

In case you have never done this ,  looking at the settings inside the MODEM isn't that difficult . The address of the modem is (always?) 192.168.2.1 . This is what you type in on the address line of the browser instead of www.name.com that should take you to the sign in box for the modem where it will ask for a user id and password ( both these and the address to type in to access the modem would be in the guide that came with the modem) . In my case to get to "bandwidth" I had to select  SETTINGS then WIRELESS then GENERAL where I changed the "bandwidth" from auto to 20. Just to make sure of this solution I later put the modem back to auto and powered the printer off and on. And yes again , when it went into Energy Saver mode the printer was "locked up" . The mode couldn't be cleared by pressing the

Energy Saver button and the only way of making the printer functional was to power off and on. I have seen quite a few

postings about this problem , I don't know if this will help in every case but it shoiuld in some.

Okay, just for clarification to the previous post. The individual was talking about changing your ROUTER BANDWIDTH SETTINGS, NOT your PRINTER MODEM SETTINGS. Typically, they are set to Auto or 20/40MHz by default but the wi-fi connection in this printer can apparently only communicate at 20MHz. 

The original post mentioned by the above author was made by an individual who posted this information in the product REVIEW, not the troubleshooting forums. It can be found here: http://reviews.usa.canon.com/3798/22623/color-imageclass-mf8380cdw-reviews/reviews.htm?format=mobile...

I don't understand, if this is truly the solution to the problem, WHY ON EARTH HASN'T CANON PUBLISHED THIS?!?!?!? I am in the process of trying this andif it does indeed work, I will be posting it all over the internet as there are numerous sites where this issue is being reported and there is no other solution being recommended except replace the printer if you want it to wake up.

I will update if the solution does not work for me.

Okay, as promised here's my follow-up. CHANGING THE ROUTER BANDWIDTH SETTINGS FROM "AUTO" OR "20/40 MHz" TO "20 MHz" did indeed resolve the sleep mode or printer not waking issue. Please comment if this has been of any help.

What if your not using wireless, but rather the wired/ethernet connection?

Seems mine isn't waking from "energy saver" mode when we print now either. Hitting the energy saver button (or any other button) didn't wake it up either. I then shut off the printer and turned it back on, then my documents came out that were in my queue.

Hello,

I encountered the same wake-up issue recently on my MF8380Cdw, and this thread has been a great find. However I have not been able to locate the bandwidth settings through the Canon Remote UI webpage (or directly on the machine itself). Somehow the Canon Remote UI's menu I have accessed to is different, and does not fit the "SETTINGS then WIRELESS then GENERAL" description from warp10too. Please kindly advise. Thank you.

The settings change is required in your wireless router, not the Canon GUI. Should be under your wireless setting in the router settings.

Thank you so much for the clarification! In my case (Netgear Orbi), it is to uncheck "20/40 MHz coexistance" ,and it works!

Tex210
Apprentice

I have an eero 6 WiFi router, does anyone know where to find the settings?

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements