cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to HARD RESET canon mf4780w to factory setting

Nojdar
Apprentice

Hello before a month I bought a canon printer MF4780w but I don't know after one week of working on it now when I turn it ON only the screen is working no LED and button are working and screen is displayed this message:

*** DOWNLOAD MODE***

waiting 

I tried to update the firmware but it cannot be recognized on laptop by USB !

I think the only way is hard reset to factory setting ....

so please if anyone knows how to hard reset it or any good solution ...

thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6

Nojdar
Apprentice

helloo why nobody cares !! since 2 months I have this problem and till now no answer !!

Hi Nojdar!

Welcome to The Canon Forums, and thank you for your inquiry!

We appreciate your participation, however we need to let you know that the Canon Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, please click here and select your country or region for your support needs.

Feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

This is happening to my MF4880 DW. I am in the US. Please let me know how to resolve the issue.

Hi gigi.

I will be glad to assist you.

Please perform the firmware update by following the instructions below:

1. Visit http://consumer.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer

2. Type you model name into the search box and select it from the list that appears. 

3. Click the 'GO' button to get to the Drivers & Software page for your model.

4. From the Drivers & Software page, Select your Operating System and Version from the provided drop-down menues.

5. If an is available, the description will appear after clicking the red triangle next to the word '."

Note: The image below is for a model that does offer a .  Many models will not feature any user installable .

You will need to enter the serial number of the device to begin the download.
  6. Click directly on the name of the file to begin the download process.

If the ***DOWNLOAD MODE*** issue persists, it is recommended that you contact our telephone technical support group at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for referring to the link to get the software to update.

But this is the next steps after we got the firmware update software installed in the PC.

If you don't have User Guide Tool, please go through it by clicking this link: http://canon.ca/inetCAWeb/userfiles/pdf/ISPG/HOW%20TO%20UPDATE.pdf

Just follow the instruction writtwn in that Guide. Once the update is complete you'll have no more issue with that annoying message: "Download Mode, USB available".

The problem is in order for you to proceed with what was printed in the User Guide above you need to have your printer control panel free from that "Download Mode" message. So here is the trick:

Turn the printer Off. (Disconnected from the computer of course.)
Then after 1 minute or more, turn the printer On...
...and within about 4 seconds (1... 2... 3... 4...) pull the power plug, sharply and suddenly.
Leave it that way for 10 or more minutes.
Plug the printer back in to just the power.
Wait for it to initialize, which will take 5 minutes or so, roughly.
Then connect to the computer, and try to print to it, regardless of whether it still has an error on it. (I hope this doesn't simply Blue Screen your computer again.)

I myself just did some random efforts by turning the printer ON and OFF, plugged the electric cord IN and OUT, or connected and disconnected the USB cable connecting the PC and the printer.

Let me know if it's working with you guys. Good luck. 

I resolved my issue.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements