cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Printer Won't Wake From Energy Saver.

MaryFA
Apprentice

Hi - 

I have a Canon ImageClass 6160 printer.  I have been using this printer for 2 years without a problem.  Recently it started to go into energy saver mode and won't wake up.  I have to turn the printer off for at least 5 minutes, turn it back on, and then it begins to print the jobs I had previously sent.

I have read similar posts on the forum, but cannot figure out the problem.  I currently have a Netgear Nighthawk X6 router - I am not sure if something in the router settings changed during a recent reboot that is causing this problem.

thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Get to this screen.  Set the printer to "printer" in the dropdown and you are good.  That's my printer at the bottom of the screen.

router_screen.jpg

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

COREtree
Contributor

Interestingly enough I have the same router and my Canon MF229dw is chronically put into paused mode.  I almost always have to take it out of paused in order to print. 

Brand new printer and router.

hi - thank you for your response.  how do you take your printer off of pause?....

Hi Mary, I figured out how to solve this problem.  The problem is the router, not the printer or Windows 10.

Download Netgear Genie from the Netgear website.  Install the software and click the "Network Map" tab.  You will see a graphic of your router surrounded by icons that represent the devices attached to the network.  Figure out which one is the printer, click it and a small screen will pop up.  At the bottom of the screen is a purple modify button.  Click that button and another small screen opens.  On of the drop downs is labeled "Type".  Set that drop down to printer and the problem is solved.  Right now it's probably not set to anything.

For some reason when the device isn't set to printer it sends a signal through the router that routinely turns it off.

After I changed the setting to printer my printer never paused again.

Get to this screen.  Set the printer to "printer" in the dropdown and you are good.  That's my printer at the bottom of the screen.

router_screen.jpg

Thank you for the help - I am having trouble finding that setting on my router - but it sounds like this is a router issue?

netgear.jpg

That version of Netgear Genie comes on the disk I got with my router.  But the one you can download online has the screen I showed you.  It replaces that version.

Yep it is 100% a router issue.  My printer has been perfect since I told my router that the device was a printer.

This worked!  Thank you so much for your help.

Announcements