cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8.1 drivers MF4800 series

RCJ
Enthusiast

I just purchased a 4880 to replace perfectly workable older machine, 4150, because Canon never put out Win 8 drivers that worked well for scanning on that machine. Understandable, i guess, as it was fairly old. The 4880 was working great in Win 8 environment which is where I should have left things. But I checked Windows Compatibility site before upgrading to Win 8.1, and this machine was listed as "compatible."

Well, it's not. In fact, it's almost completely nonfunctional, with limited printing capability, but no scanning or two-way communication with the PC. Imagine my frustration when I contacted Canon and they said, no, we have no drivers, and "probably" will, but there's no way to know when. "Could be two days, could be six months," one rep said. 

So, I'm thinking about returning it. Pretty shocked Canon would not have updated drivers for the OS now being sold on new PCs, especially when the OS has been out in developer stage for months. Does anyone else have better info on this, ie, is it worth keeping the machine past the return window on the chance that Canon might update the drivers? Meanwhile, be warned that if you have a machine in this series and want to upgrade to Win 8.1, you're asking for it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Patrice,

Thank you so much. Actually I just recently did much of what you have outlined here. The process was somewhat different, because I have my printer installed as a wired network printer to facilitate its use across my home network. But I essentially did the same thing: I removed all traces I could find of the drivers, disconnected printer from network, rebooted, plugged printer back into network (I'm not using USB, learning from past mistakes, then reinstalled WIndows 8 drivers from website. They seem to work for both print and scan. (However I'm not banking on long term, as I got my previous machine to work in Win 8 for a period of time, then it didn't.)

Anyway. I'm happy to have it working for now. But I am mystified as to why none of the three Canon support people I talked to about this problem had any inkling the drivers would work. They all told me to sit by and wait. 

Anyone else out there in Canon-land thinking about intstalling win 8.1 -- I would uninstall all the software from my machine, do the upgrade, then reinstall the drivers, which would probably solve many problems. (I also had to remove and reinstall another Canon inkjet printer running wifi.)

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

Hello,

I would really like to use your suggestion as I have been having trouble printing over my WIFI network.  However when I tried to uninstall the Cannon Driver, I keep getting the error message saying that,

'there are some print jobs that are pending and i need to finish those prior to uninstalling.'

I have no print jobs pending in reality.  I would appreciate if you could help me with the first step of uninstalling so that I can reinstall the drivers from the weblink you have provided in your thread.

I would greatly appreciate your reply.

Thanks.

Hi co.

It's possible that the jobs are stuck in the Windows Print Spooler.  You will need to stop the print spooler and clear the jobs.  Please follow the instructions below:

1.  Open the [Computer Management] Window, by performing a Windows Search.
2.  Select [Manage] in the box that appears.
3.   In the [Computer Management] window, double-click on [Services and Applications] in the left column.
4.  Double-click on [Services].
5.  Scroll down the list to [Print Spooler] and double-click the option.
6.  Click [Stop] to stop the service.

Leave the [Computer Management] window open and perform the following steps to delete the jobs in the queue:

1.  Open the [Computer] window, by performing a Windows Search.
2.  Double-click on the [C://] drive.
3.  Double-click on the [Windows] folder.
4.  Double-click  on the [System32] folder.
5.  Double-click on the [Spool] folder.
6.  Double-click the [Printers] folder.  You will receive a message that states you don't have permission to access the folder.  Select [Continue].
7.  Delete all of the files listed.
8.  Close the [Printers] Window and empty the Recycle Bin.

Next, go back to the [Computer Management] window and double-click on [Print Spooler].  Click [Start] to start the service.  Restart the computer.  After restarting the computer, uninstall the drivers.

I hope this information is helpful to you.  If the issue persists, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I am having the same problem. I have tried all the steps in this thread. I have a canon 4890. It is directly connected to my Windows 8.1 x64 PC and for the life of me I can not get the scanner to work.  I keep getting the "Cannot communicate with the scanner. The cable may be disconnected, or the scanner may be turned off. Check the scanner status and try again. Scanner driver will be terminated." error message. 

I have reinstalled the driver from the canon website about a million times. I completely uninstalled all the old drivers. Reset the computer. Install the new ones. Reset,connect USB. Printing works fine. Scanner does work at all. I don't understand why its so hard to just get this crap to WORK. I am ready to throw the **bleep** thing out the window or go Office space on it.

Still can't get my scanner to work. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers a million times now. I also get this error when in the device manager for thre Canon MF4800 Series under Imaging devices.

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Anyone know how to fix this? If not anyone want to buy my printer? This is the last time I'll ever buy Canon. 

Hello Patrice,

Perhaps you can assist me. I have windows 8.1 and it worked perfectly fine with my Canon MF4800 printer. Scanning was

intermittent but we have a stand alone scanner so this was not a problem. We were on a secondary wireless internet connection for a few days, and when we switched back to primary wireless internet connection - which the printer is hooked

on to - it is just saying error message - and wont print.

The wireless internet blue light is on - so it is receiving connection - but just not printing. Unsure what to do.....

Any help provided would be greatly appreicated

@Patrice wrote:

Hi RCJ.

I understand that you are having issues with the printing and scanning functions now that the printer is connected to your Windows 8.1 operating system.  The drivers for the Windows 8 operating system do work on Windows 8.1. I recommend performing a full uninstall and reinstall of the drivers, using the instructions below:

1.  Unplug the USB cable from the printer.

***Please leave the USB cable disconnected until you have uninstalled and completely reinstalled the drivers.  Connecting the printer before going through the "Setup Wizard" may cause the Windows operating system to install a generic driver for the printer.***

2.  Press the Windows key and 'x'.

3.  Select 'Control Panel'.

4.  Select Devices and Printers.  The Devices and Printers window opens.

5.  In the Devices and Printers window, right click on the MF4800 Series and select 'Remove' to delete the printer.  Delete all of the icons for the MF4880dw.

6.  Close the Devices and Printers window then press the Windows key and 'x'.

7.  Select 'Control Panel'.

8.  Select 'Programs and Features'.

9.  Double click on driver to uninstall.  Follow the on screen prompts.  Repeat to uninstall the MF Tool box.

10.  Restart you computer.

11. Leaving the USB cable disconnected, please download the driver from the Canon website using the following link: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer

12. The site will automatically detect your operating system as Windows 8.1.  Please click the drop down arrow and change it to Windows 8 (x64). 

13.  Next, select [Drivers] and the file [Windows 64bit] imageCLASS MF4890dw/MF4880dw MFDrivers (UFR II / FAX / ScanGear).

14.  Click "I Agree - Begin Download".

15.  Save the file to your computer.  Once the download is complete, click "Run".

16.  Click "I Decline - Go Back" on the Canon site and select [Software] and the file [Windows 32bit & 64bit] Tool Box Ver.4.9.1.1.mf15.

17.  Save the file to your computer.  Once the download is complete, click "Run".

18.  Close the Canon window and go to the location on the computer where the files are saved.

19.  You will see two icons with the name MF4800_Series_MFDrivers_W64_us_EN_2.exe.  Double click on the yellow folder icon.  In the folder you will see two files with the name "Setup".  Double click on the "Setup" that has the type [Application].

20.  The "MF Drivers Setup Wizard" will open.  Please proceed through the setup and restart the computer.

21.  After the computer restarts, please connect the USB cable to the computer and allow the computer to finish the installation process.  Once the printer is listed in [Devices and Printers], right-click on the icon and select it as the default printer.  Please open a document on the computer and print it out.

Please follow steps 19 and 20 to install the Canon MF Toolbox 4.9 software.  Once the software is installed, please follow the steps below to complete a scan:

1.  Press the [SCAN] button on the control panel of the printer and place a document in the feeder.

2.  On the computer, open the MF Toolbox program.

3.  Select the [PDF] scan function.

4.  Click the green [Start] button in the PDF window.  The scan should begin.

Another possible issue will be having a device, such as a USB hub or switch connected between the printer and the computer.  If you do have a device such as this connected, we recommend removing the printer and creating a direct connection from the printer to the computer.

I hope this information is helpful. 

Should you need further assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666)

These instructions got my MF4350D scanning in Windows 10 x64 (substitute the correct drivers, of course). I've tried installing the drivers and toolbox without following these instructions and was unable to scan. I'm guessing somewhere in Patrice's instructions there was an important restart.

I used [Windows 32bit & 64bit] Tool Box Ver.4.9.1.1.mf17 from 08/24/15 and [Windows 64bit] imageCLASS MF4350d MFDrivers (UFR II / FAX / ScanGear) from 07/16/15.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-laser-printers-im...

-------------------------------------------

I'm relatively technically proficient and also removed my old drivers by going to 

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Devices and Printers

Select Fax or XPS Document Printer

Open Print Server Properties at the top (below the address bar)

Drivers tab

Remove everything related to your printer, including the driver package, and reconfirm with the "delete" button. It's a bit ridiculous, but it worked for me.

-------------------------------------------

lpaulsen
Apprentice

I had the same issue. Upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1 broke the remote scanning ability. Upgrading the drivers did not fix the issue. All canon software needed to be completely removed and then re-installed. Afterward, the scanning worked again.

mikeinwaco
Apprentice
I went to Canon support. and they talked me thru a process that totally resolved a perplexing g problem with Canon compatibility and my new hp laptop. I highly recommend their capable and patient attention to fully resolve my issue.
Announcements