cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's with the MF720C? Did it fall off the planet? Where's my support?

montyny
Apprentice

I've thought of Canon as a reliable brand. I bought a Canon MF720C on Amazon in December 2016. I hate to do a post with multiple issues but for now I am.

I went to scan something and tried to find the scanner software. To put it politely, it s*cks - unless I'm missing something. I bought the unit to replace an older Epson unit. For a cheap commodity unit the epson scanner software was pretty flexible. I'm trying to scan multiple pages to a pdf.

I tried using ScanGear but that only seems to save as png.

Ok I thought, lets try the support page. It seems like Canon completely disavows the MF720C - no sign of it at all? What am I supposed to use? How do I see if there are new drivers / firmware / tools?

After a while, I try to send an email. I select the closest I can find, MF726, include my serial number and state in the email that it's a 720 - but it seems the 'tech' completely ignores that saying: " I understand that you need assistance with the scanning function of the imageCLASS MF726Cdw and I will be able to help you" - well, surprisingly the rest of the email wasn't very useful.

After taking a deep breath, and going back to Canon MF Scan Utility, I see how I am supposed to save to pdf - goto settings, document, configure, then back to the main window and then document. Not very intuitive!

I guess I can try calling the support number when I have plenty of time to kill ....

For a new Canon Laser owner - this leaves a very nasty taste at the moment. We'll see what happens. Interestingly, my first non-ad result from duckduckgo.com when searching for MF720C is VueScan. Perhaps I should just try that and bite the bullet if it works and pay the $30.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Danny

Hi, montyny!

Thanks for joining the Canon Community Forum. "MF720C" refers to the "family" this printer comes from. It's marketed throughout the world with as the MF72xC, with the "x" being replaced by a different number in each region of the world. The USA models from this family are the imageCLASS MF726Cdw and the imageCLASS MF729Cdw. If you bought your printer from a Canon USA authorized dealer, odds are it's one of these two models, and this model number should be clearly indicated on the printer's outer casing. This is why you won't find "MF720C" on our site. We hope this clears up any confusion.

If you still need help switching to PDF scanning, finding the right apps on our site, or anything else, let us know and we'll help!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Danny

Hi, montyny!

Thanks for joining the Canon Community Forum. "MF720C" refers to the "family" this printer comes from. It's marketed throughout the world with as the MF72xC, with the "x" being replaced by a different number in each region of the world. The USA models from this family are the imageCLASS MF726Cdw and the imageCLASS MF729Cdw. If you bought your printer from a Canon USA authorized dealer, odds are it's one of these two models, and this model number should be clearly indicated on the printer's outer casing. This is why you won't find "MF720C" on our site. We hope this clears up any confusion.

If you still need help switching to PDF scanning, finding the right apps on our site, or anything else, let us know and we'll help!

Thanks Danny - that's actually very helpful. Yes, the printer does have MF726Cdw on it. I took the model number from my invoice but more significantly from the printers web page where it has device name and product name!

From searching the forum, it's possbile that there are a couple of others out likewise confused.

As for the scanning, I'm still not sure it's as easy as I was used to, but I will try the Presto Page Manager next time and see. If I still have thoughts or questions, I'll make another post.

Thanks,

Bryan.

Announcements