cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to share Image Class D530 laser printer

picktoo
Contributor

My workhorse Image Class D530 has been rock solid for years, including sharing it through Windows 10 over WiFi with my laptop. One year ago, after a clean install of Win 10 on a new SSD in my desktop, shared printer operations stopped working. I've tried literally hundreds of times to reconfigure printer sharing, with no success. My research indicates this is a common problem in Windows, with no identified solution.

If anyone has a silver bullet to resolve this issue, I would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions.

9 REPLIES 9

dexman335
Rising Star
Rising Star

I'm unclear about "sharing" the unit via Windows 10. Can you provide more information as to what it used to be able to do? 🤔

normadel
Authority
Authority

"Printer sharing" in Windows means it is connected to one computer, and other computers access it through the one computer, which has to be on  when you want to print through it. It is the way to have computers print to a printer without having to install the printer software on them individually. 

When a printer is networked, it is accessible directly by any and all computers on the network at any time, independently. This not "Printer sharing". Each computer has to have the printer software installed on it.

Whether the printer uses an Ethernet cable or WiFi is not the issue.

Which way are you trying to utilize the printer?

I'm unclear about whether you're responding to me or "dexman335". I am very clear about what you're saying. I specified that I was sharing the printer over WiFi in Windows, which is a long standing feature of several versions of the OS. It is enabled by selecting appropriate settings in "File and Printer Sharing." And, yes, the software must be installed on both machines.

I failed to consider in my OP that not everyone is familiar with the D530. I should have stated in the beginning that the D530 is a USB only printer, with no native networking or WiFi capabilities. It must be connected to a host computer, with "Printer Sharing" enabled on it, in order for other computers on the local area "network" to print to it.

The opening statement in my OP was (with emphasis) "My workhorse Image Class D530 has been rock solid for years, including sharing it through Windows 10 over WiFi with my laptop." I would have thought that statement indicated that I understood how to set it up.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I hope you solve your issue.  It's helpful to the community if you'd only make one post instead of three for the same topic.  

shadowsports_0-1715002401459.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

The opening statement in my OP was (with emphasis) "My workhorse Image Class D530 has been rock solid for years, including sharing it through Windows 10 over WiFi with my laptop." I would have thought that statement indicated that I understood how to set it up. Thanks anyhow.

I should also repeat that I never experienced an issue with "sharing" the printer until the clean install of Windows 10 on a new SSD in the host machine, the one to which the printer is connected via USB. That's what broke the abiltiy to "share" the printer. Even though that feature is still available in Windows, somewhere along the line an system update wrecked it. Windows Forums are full of users who have experienced the same issue, and no solution has yet been indentified.

The Canon Community is intended for users to help each other with issues related to their Canon gear. 

Be respectful and courteous to the users who are trying to help you.

The Community Guidelines can be found here: https://canon.us/CommunityGuidelines 

If you need one-on-one help, please contact support. You'll find your personalized support options within your My Canon Account at https://canon.us/account 

normadel
Authority
Authority

Please, let's simplify, Picktoo.  By providing the USB info, you have answered what you are trying to do.

1. You have a new Win 10 install. Being on an SSD instead of a hard drive is irrelevant.

2. In the install process for the printer on the host computer, doesn't Windows ask you if you want to share it? 

3. If you say "Yes", where is the failure happening?

4. If you say "No", accidentally or because you missed the question, you CAN go to Printer and File Sharing later and opt to share the printer. Have you done this?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

picktoo,

Your issue appears to be with your operating system, and not with your Canon product.  We're happy to assist you and get your printer connected and working with Windows.  

Your posts and threads seem to indicate the D530 is connected and working, but is not being shared between your other devices.  This is not a function or feature of your Canon Product.  I think a Microsoft community would be a better resource in this case.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements