cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to scan with canon mf 4350d

naoh853
Apprentice

Hello.  

I am using Windows 7 (64bit).  After the recent windows update, I cannot scan with my Canon MF 4350d.  I can print or make a copy but not scan.  It's very frustrating as I followed several guidances online, including uninstalling and re-installing the driver, update toolbox, and etc. and it took me a couple of hours, but I have no luck getting this fixed.  I needed to scan my doc before my flight and now I can't get things done.  It's very stressful.

Can someone help me out?  Thanks a lot.

12 REPLIES 12

Patrice
Whiz

Hi naoh853.

I will be glad to assist you.

I understand that you have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers; however, there may have been something in the update that cause a conflict between the scanner driver and another program on your operating system.  I recommend performing these steps in 'Selective Startup Mode'.  Please disconnect the printer from the computer and follow the instructions below:

To place you computer in a Selective Start Up, please follow these steps:

1.  Press the Windows [Start] button.

2.  Tyoe "Msconfig" in the [Search] area.

3.  Select OK.  If the UAC window opens, type in your password and select OK.

4.  In the System Properties screen, choose 'Selective Start Up'.

5.  Uncheck the box labeled 'Load Start Up Items'.

6.  Click Apply.

7.  Under the Services Tab, click on 'Hide all Microsoft Services' at the bottom of the window just above the OK button.

8.  Click 'Disable All'.

9.  Click Apply.

10.  Click Close.

11.  Restart the computer.

Next, to uninstall the drivers for your MF4350, please follow these steps: (If certain items are not listed or found, move on to the next step.)

1.  Unplug the USB cable from the printer.

***Please leave the USB cable disconnected until you have uninstalled and completely reinstalled the drivers.  Connecting the printer before going through the "Setup Wizard" may cause the Windows operating system to install a generic driver for the printer.***

2.  Press the Windows key and 'x'.

3.  Select 'Control Panel'.

4.  Select Devices and Printers.  The Devices and Printers window opens.

5.  In the Devices and Printers window, right click on the MF4320/4350 Series and select 'Remove' to delete the printer.  Delete all of the icons for the MF4350.

6.  Close the Devices and Printers window then press the Windows key and 'x'.

7.  Select 'Control Panel'.

8.  Select 'Programs and Features'.

9.  Double click on driver to uninstall.  Follow the on screen prompts.  Repeat to uninstall the MF Tool box.

10.  Restart you computer.

11. Leaving the USB cable disconnected, please download the driver from the Canon website using the following link: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer

12. The site will automatically detect your operating system. 

13.  Next, select [Drivers] and the file [Windows 64bit] imageCLASS MF4350 MFDrivers (UFR II / FAX / ScanGear).

14.  Click "I Agree - Begin Download".

15.  Save the file to your computer.  Once the download is complete, click "Run".

16.  Click "I Decline - Go Back" on the Canon site and select [Software] and the file [Windows 32bit & 64bit] Tool Box Ver.4.9.1.1.mf16.

17.  Save the file to your computer.  Once the download is complete, click "Run".

18.  Close the Canon window and go to the location on the computer where the files are saved, usually [Downloads].

19.  You will see two icons with the name MF4350_MFDrivers_W64_us_EN_2.exe.  Double click on the yellow folder icon.  In the folder you will see two files with the name "Setup".  Double click on the "Setup" that has the type [Application].

20.  The "MF Drivers Setup Wizard" will open.  Please proceed through the setup and restart the computer.

21.  After the computer restarts, please connect the USB cable to the computer and allow the computer to finish the installation process.  Once the printer is listed in [Devices and Printers], right-click on the icon and select it as the default printer.  Please open a document on the computer and print it out.

Please follow steps 19 and 20 to install the Canon MF Toolbox 4.9 software.  Once the software is installed, please follow the steps below to complete a scan:

1.  Press the [SCAN] button on the control panel of the printer and place a document in the feeder.

2.  On the computer, open the MF Toolbox program.

3.  Select the [PDF] scan function.

4.  Click the green [Start] button in the PDF window.  The scan should begin.

After you successfully scan a document, please follow these steps to return your computer to Normal Startup:

1.  Press the Windows [Start] button.

2.  Type 'Msconfig' in the Search window.

3.  Select OK.  If the UAC window opens, type in your password and select OK.

4.  In the System Properties screen, choose 'Normal Start Up'.  The Services tab automatically returns to the previous settings.

5.  Click Apply.

6.  Click Close.

7.  Restart the computer.

I hope this information is helpful to you.  Should the error persist or you need immediate assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for the response.  I was out of town for 10 days and once I got home I immediately followed the steps you provided.  Unfortunately, my canon is still unable to scan.

I followed every single step, but there is a red flag during the Step 21: (21.  After the computer restarts, please connect the USB cable to the computer and allow the computer to finish the installation process.  Once the printer is listed in [Devices and Printers], right-click on the icon and select it as the default printer.  Please open a document on the computer and print it out.)

The device driver was not successfully installed.  The printer is listed in the "Device and Printers" with an exclamation mark.  The status shows "needs troubleshooting".  I clicked the properties of the printer, under “Hardware” tab, the Canon MF4320-4350 “Imaging devices”(type) has an exclamation mark- I’m guessing this stands for “scanning” because the other Canon MF4320-4350 “printer”(type) has no exclamation mark, and I am able to print without trouble. 

In addition, when I click the “PDF” button from the MF toolbox, it doesn’t let me.  It has an error window popping up saying “cannot communicate the scanner”.  

Please let me know if you need additional information to help you look into the problem.  Thanks a lot.

Thank you for your reply.

Were you able to access the MF Drivers setup installation program in Step 20?

I look forward to your reply.  Should you need immediate assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello!

Yes, I was ble to access the MF Drivers setup installation program in Step 20.  When installation was done, I was asked to connect the USB with my printer, but I restarted my computer first instead.  After reboot, I plugged in the cable, and the windows recoginzed the "new" printer and the installation started.  However, the installation failed (partially successfully- print OK but NO scanning)

Thanks,

Thank you for your response.

Since the installation failed, I recommend contacting our live technical support at this point. While I understand the forum may be the preferred method of communication, the real time feedback with a  telephone representative would be very beneficial in this case.  Please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Until recently, I have easily been able to scan by selecting this operation from the COPY FAX SCAN window.  Selecting SCAN and pressing the start button now causes repeated beeps.  The long, complex instructions given by the Canon expert to another member below are well beyond my computer competencies even if directed by phone.  I am surprised and dismayed at this unexpected failure.  I have made no additions to my computer other than recieve commonplace automatic Windows upates, the version being Windows 7 Ultimate.

OK.  Let me share some mind boggling news.  I just scanned, with ease.  While  my Cannon did nothing but beep when I tried to scan, I had an unbidden urge:  strike the print, copy, and scan key in rapid sucession many times. When I did, my machine scannedk, with ease. Go figure this one out, Cannon.  

This does now work on my HP ZBook laptop with Windows 10. Your files are *.exe files and not a compressed, self-extracting ZIP file. These instructions are incorrect. Furthermnore, your *.exe driver file DOES NOT even run on my PC. I tried double-clicking and that does nothing. I tried right-clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator". Again, the file does NOT run. I deleted the existing drivers on my PC, per the instructions cited here. Now, I CANNOT use my printer. My big problem was that I wanted to use the SCAN feature. Why have your product when it does not work? I have spent 5 hours running around, redownloading, retrying. The printer is at home and the Internet access is at Starbucks. I have lost money with your product due to my wasted time. My time is work $300 per hour. Maybe reimburse me and I can go get a printer from a company that actually supports their product? What do you say? David (user community dB_AAEngr).

Hi dB_AAEngr! 

The Forum is not intended for immediate help, but a place to allow for the Community to give you assistance and feedback.

If you are in the United States and this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team. 

If you live outside the United States, please click here and select your country or region for your support needs.

We hope this helps! 

Announcements