cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer connected via Ethernet but won't print

Patents
Contributor

Just got a new MF733cdw. Hooked to my router via Ethernet. I successfully printed to the printer from my iPhone using AirPrint. But it won't print from my computer. 

It's a MacBook Pro running macOS 10.12, a clean install a few weeks ago. I added the printer in system preferences, it found the printer (the computer is connected to the router via wifi), and it set the printer to print via AirPrint. When I tried to print, the print que says "printing - connected to printer" but the printer does nothing. I then downloaded the Canon drivers from the Canon web site and installled them and verified the printer is usIng the downloaded driver. Same thing, it says connected but will not print. I can click "find printer" in the settings and it will make the printer beep. So it is connected through the network. It just won't print. 

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Patents
Contributor

I got it working.

I followed the instructions postd by the Canon support person above.  It did not work.  I still got "printing - connected to printer" in the queue and nothing would happen.  I called Canon tech support, and she had me 1) power cycle the printer, 2) delete the printer in system preferences, and 3) add the printer back.  Instead of specifying an IP, we just selected the printer automatically found using bonjour, but instead of the default driver being airprint we selected the Canon driver I had downloaded from the list.

I had already tried all of this, just not in that order.  I don't really know what solved it or what was the specific problem.  I had power cycled the printer previously since installation.  I think there is some merit to the user's suggestion above, since I had installed the printer prior to downloading the drivers as well.

If I have more problems I'll come back and post again.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

James_C

Hi Patents

Please delete and add the printer to the queue.

Please open [System Preferences] > [Printers & Scanners].  Next, click the [-] sign under the printer list to delete the printer.  Once the printer has been removed, please follow the instructions below to add the printer back to the window:

1. Click the [+] icon.
If another dialog box does not appear, click [Add Other Printer or Scanner] or [Add Printer or Scanner] after clicking the [+] icon.

2. Register the printer and fax.

2-B. TCP/IP Connection.

2-B-1. Click [IP], and select a print protocol from [Protocol].

If you want to use the machine in an IPv6 environment, select LPD or Socket for [Protocol].

2-B-2. Enter the IP address of the machine to [Address], and select either one of the following options from [Print Using] or [Use]: [Select Printer Software], or [Select Software].

2-B-3. Select a driver that is capable for this machine from the driver list, and click [OK].

2-B-4. Click [Add].

3. Check that this machine is added to the [Print & Fax], [Print & Scan], or [Printers & Scanners] dialog box.

4. Close the dialog box.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I don't know if this solved the issue for the OP but my situation was very similar. After spending over an hour trying to figure it out, I registered for this forum, saw this post and 2 minutes later I'm printing.

My situation:

I also had issues printing from my MBA via Ethernet with my Pixma 922. I also then downloaded the 3 drivers.

The printer was showing as the default and only printer (as it was before I downloaded the drivers). I would go to print and a window would pop up saying "processing" but my printer just sat there doing nothing. In System Preferences/Printers it showed my printer model and the status below it said, "idle, default".

I read your post and all I did was delete the printer in System Preferences/Printers by clicking on the - sign. I then added it back in by clickng on the + sign.

I went back to the doc I was trying to print and it printed! Easy fix.

I'm thinking it had something to do with the fact that I had installed the printer without the drivers, tried to print, then added the drivers. Perhaps it didn't work because I had tried to print before downloading the drivers and I had several print jobs stuck somewhere (they were not showing in the print que however). Like I stated, they had been "processed" so they must be somewhere, possibly in my cache.

Bottom line, I'm taking way more time writing this than it took to execute the suggested solution by James but I thought since the OP did not answer, it would be helpful for others having the same or similar issue to know of this simple fix (in my case I'm running OS X)....delete and add the printer profile. Many times the fix is simple, like rebooting after adding something.

Thank you James!

Look for CANON IJ network tool in CANON CANADA WORKED THE FIRST TIME PERFECT

https://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/browse/a_status/published/productRecordID/RN_PRODUCT_1251/curre...

https://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/browse/a_status/published/productRecordID/RN_PRODUCT_1251/curre...

Download the IJ Canon Network and the driver your Mac will connect instantly 

Patents
Contributor

I got it working.

I followed the instructions postd by the Canon support person above.  It did not work.  I still got "printing - connected to printer" in the queue and nothing would happen.  I called Canon tech support, and she had me 1) power cycle the printer, 2) delete the printer in system preferences, and 3) add the printer back.  Instead of specifying an IP, we just selected the printer automatically found using bonjour, but instead of the default driver being airprint we selected the Canon driver I had downloaded from the list.

I had already tried all of this, just not in that order.  I don't really know what solved it or what was the specific problem.  I had power cycled the printer previously since installation.  I think there is some merit to the user's suggestion above, since I had installed the printer prior to downloading the drivers as well.

If I have more problems I'll come back and post again.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Announcements