cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF8580CDW Correct Print Color Mismatch fails

elkinhom
Apprentice

There is a slight red colorshift when printing.  Changed cartridges and ran through the cleaning cycles.  Try to run the auto adjust and they all fail.  Auto Adjust gradatation...fails.  Correct print color mismatch fails.  Probably try factory reset next.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Natoqc
Contributor

I'm replying to this old post as it may help somebody else.

I have had this problem on and off for years with my MF8580CDW. Usually I use compatible cartridges but for the past year my printer has had correction issues with one out of two cartridges so I ended up installing original Canon cartridges. Worked fine for a few months and then same issue has cropped up again.
I tried swapping cartridges (I have onet of original and one of compatible) in various combinations without any luck. While searching on the internet I came accross the service manual. The correction feature reads the alignment signal from the "colour displacement/density signal" sensors. This is the bar in front of the machine just under the toner cartridge tray. With the black toner cartridge removed and the tray slightly pulled out it is possible to see sevaral square or rectangular holes in the plastic cover which is held by 2 screws. In four of those holes (2 on each side) there are small black round sensors. I first gave them a swipe with a small paintbrush without success, I then cleaned them with some alcohol on a cotton bud and hey presto the alignment worked again.
It is relatively simple fix. I do not know why it is not recommended to clean these sensors from time to time. I hope this info will save a few printers from being junked. I was getting close to that point after having spent all morning trying to solve the isssue.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Sonya1
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello elkinhom,

I understand there is a slight red colorshift when printing with your Color imageCLASS MF8580Cdw. If you are using Genuine Canon 118 toner cartridges, and you have cleaned the fixing unit and transfer belt using the instructions found at this LINK, you have completed all of the steps that should restore your print quality. Your MF8580Cdw will require service. Please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) so that we may provide you with your service options.

If you are using non-Canon toner cartridges, replacing your toner cartridges with Genuine Canon 118 toner cartridges should restore your print quality and you will be able to complete the auto adjust, auto adjust gradation, and color correction (as needed).

If you need immediate assistance and you're in the USA, please click http://Canon.us/ContactCF for our US-based support. If you're outside of the US, please click http://Canon.us/4xf7 for support options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I tcalled Canon but they said they stop support this product. They did not advise me how to have it fixed.

I used all genuie ink and tried to do auto repair for the color mismatch but it always show " Color mismatch correction failed"

Hello, kamikazikeno!

The Color imageCLASS MF8580Cdw is the unit being discussed in this thread, and it's still being supported by Canon USA. If your printer is NOT the Color imageCLASS MF8580Cdw, our phone support team here at Canon USA may not be supporting your printer any longer. You can find the exact model of your printer on the top or front of the unit.

If you are using the MF8580Cdw, we recommend trying to reach out again. Our team is at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) weekdays from 10:00am to 6:30pm ET.

Thank for response so fast. I am still waiting on the support line with Canon so long now, its seem like it take even longer in here than the support line.  I tried to call 3 times today. The A.I. keep kicking me out after said it not support anymore on phone. I have to call Sale line and ask them to transfer to Tech Support. I am in US and used the same model, genuie ink, the machine is very new as I didnt print more than 1000 page since I bought it in Office Depot. Everything work well ecept this issue make me stop using it to print color since last year. Do you have any step to do after the " Auto correction" failed?

Natoqc
Contributor

I'm replying to this old post as it may help somebody else.

I have had this problem on and off for years with my MF8580CDW. Usually I use compatible cartridges but for the past year my printer has had correction issues with one out of two cartridges so I ended up installing original Canon cartridges. Worked fine for a few months and then same issue has cropped up again.
I tried swapping cartridges (I have onet of original and one of compatible) in various combinations without any luck. While searching on the internet I came accross the service manual. The correction feature reads the alignment signal from the "colour displacement/density signal" sensors. This is the bar in front of the machine just under the toner cartridge tray. With the black toner cartridge removed and the tray slightly pulled out it is possible to see sevaral square or rectangular holes in the plastic cover which is held by 2 screws. In four of those holes (2 on each side) there are small black round sensors. I first gave them a swipe with a small paintbrush without success, I then cleaned them with some alcohol on a cotton bud and hey presto the alignment worked again.
It is relatively simple fix. I do not know why it is not recommended to clean these sensors from time to time. I hope this info will save a few printers from being junked. I was getting close to that point after having spent all morning trying to solve the isssue.

Great tip, unfortunately in my case this helped only a little but the alignement is still off, correct print color mismatch still fails. Tried many different toner cartridges, including originals, and there appears to be no visible difference.  I am based in Toronto. Any help out here?

PocketP
Apprentice

beforebeforeafter cleaning the sensorsafter cleaning the sensors

Hi, I just followed the simple instructions above, removing the black cartridge and giving the sensors a wipe, printed in color once again and it worked!

You can see the difference.

Thank you!

Please help, I have my message below, thanks!

Natoqc
Contributor

Josan has asked for some pictures, here are two shots of the printer, one with the cartridge tray slightly open and shows the black cartridge and the same thing with the black cartridge removed showing the four square cut-outs where we can see the black dots which are the sensors.

Sensor under cartridge.jpgSensors.jpg

Announcements