cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF634Cdw - Jobs always stick in print queue

jfoust
Contributor

I've installed a number of MF634Cdw for my clients.  Almost all have been trouble-free. 

In one case, though, this small office has trouble from all the (Win7) workstations.  The printer is on the network.  Drivers are installed per-computer with default settings, not shared from the domain server.  Print jobs simply stick in the queue.  Restarting the job in the queue only fixes the problem now and then.  I've tried tweaking the usual spooling options as well as disabling the Printer / Properties / Device Settings spooling and nothing makes a difference.  I've updated the firmware on the printer.  It's not just the print jobs from one app, it happens from several.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

jfoust
Contributor

An update...  I switched it to a printer on the domain server, and added the printer to each workstation that way.

Now it prints more reliably, but each workstation shows a brief "print failed" pop-up when they print, even though the print succeeded.

James_C

Hi jfoust 

There may be a program running in the background causing this issue to occur.  Rebooting your computer without your normal startup applications running may resolve this issue.  To do this, follow the procedure below:

1.  Click Start.

2.  Type MSCONFIG in the Start Search box and press Enter on the keyboard.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

3.  The System Configuration Utility will appear.

4.  Make a note of which startup selection your computer is set on.  If your startup selection is set to Normal, switch it to Selective Startup by placing the radio button dot next to Selective Startup.

5.  Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

6.  Click the Apply button.

7.  Click on the Services tab at the top.

8.  Place a check mark next to 'Hide all Microsoft Services'. 

9.  Click the Disable All button.

10.  Click Apply.

11.  Click the OK button.

12.  Windows will prompt you to restart your computer; click Restart.

13.  At this point, test the printer.

To return your computer to normal startup mode, follow steps 1-3 above, put a check in the box next to Load Startup Items, and then choose Normal Startup (if it was set this way initially) and click Apply.  Click on the Services tab and click on the Enable All button. Click Apply, then OK and restart your computer.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Your steps are incomplete.  If your presumption is that something in the startup is causing the problem, then I'd need to follow the steps and one-by-one re-add startup items to see which might be the culprit.  This can be very time-consuming, as there may be a dozen or two items in startup, no?

I tried a different approach.  I connected the printer via USB to one workstation, then shared it to the others.  So far, this is working without the stoppage and blockage.  The cause must be something in the network approach.  

Announcements